 Events / BricksWest / 388
387  |  389
Subject:
BricksWest™ 2003 : The Beginning : Part 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 21:40:14 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Now, for some preliminary event information:

1) First and foremost, the location and dates for the event need to be
secured, as all else will stem from these. To this end, I have a call in to
LEGOLAND California.

At the end of planning the last event, a preliminary offer was made to hold
the entire 2003 event inside the theme park. The only drawback to this (as
evidenced by the discussion folllowing the announcement) is that a balance
would need to be struck between the public face of the show (where event
presenters would be holding sessions for the park-going public at specific
venues throughout the park) and the private conference (our themed modules
and presentations held for the registered attendees).

I do not intend to seriously move forward with any other planning until I
hear back from the park.

2) If the idea of holding the entire event in the park doesn't work out,
then we will be open to changing the venue.

My current thinking is as follows: If we can hold the event in the park,
then we do so; if we can only use the Pavilion, then we see about securing
Carlsbad hotel space (not the Grand Pacific Palisades, though); if the park
is right out, then we look into alternatives.

While I'm certain that we could still use the Pavilion at the park as event
space, I'm not so enamored of the idea that BricksWest would HAVE to remain
in Carlsbad. In fact, I'm kind of taken with the idea of Anaheim, as has
been previously mentioned.

3) Despite thoughts to the otherwise, the Valentine's Day through
President's Day holiday weekend still seems like the best bet for the event.
It's the only three day weekend in a several month range.

If we move off to March as previously discussed, we can pick pretty much any
weekend we wish. I would advocate against anything after March, as it would
begin to impeed upon BrickFest.

Of course, the final deterination on dates will hinge upon securing the
venue, so for now just expect it to fall somewhere from the middle of
February to the end of March.

4) We've already had some great interest from folks willing to run
conference sessions (Steve Barile and PNLTC for trains, Tim Courtney for
LDraw.org, Ralph Hemple with pbForth). Anyone else who is ready, willing and
able to host or present sessions should e-mail to events@brickswest.com ASAP.

5) Sponsorships will play a mojor role in the event again, and I have had
some new ideas for this. I'll be making some contacts and such for
sponsorship as we work on, but suggestions are more than welcome either here
or at admin@brickswest.com.

I have some great things working already from the theme, community, event
and sponsorship angles, but I invite everyone interested in attending to
still keep providing ideas here on the group...ultimately it's YOUR event,
so let's work together to make BricksWest 2003 the GREATEST LEGO fan
gathering EVER!

Matt