 Events / BrickFest / 3769
Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 00:17:52 GMT

Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
In lugnet.events, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
In lugnet.events, Kelly McKiernan wrote:

Oh, I hadn't realized that there was a misconception about
BrickFest being non-profit. Is that widespread? The solution for
that's pretty simple, more education. I know the info's on the
footer of BrickFest.com, and has been since I started doing the web
site in late 2003.

It started out as an event <http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=536
run by a local LUG>. I'm not sure when or how the transition
happened. The fact that BF was a business has been out there for a
while - if you were looking for it. But BF has never felt like a
business, what with the calls for volunteers, donations of time and
prizes, etc.

The phrase "BrickFest is a Trademark of Brick Events LLC" started
showing up on the website by
<http://web.archive.org/web/20020719044301/http://www.brickfest.com/
July 19, 2002> at the latest. The <http://www.archive.org/web/web.php
Wayback Machine> isn't showing me the results for the beginning of
2002. The 2002 event was the first one to charge registration fees.

I'm pretty sure BrickFest 2000 had a registration fee. I know that it was
pointed out at one point that even in 2000, the facility was NOT free (I had
been under that impression, and I know when conversation started about
BF2001, perhaps even during BF2000, I pointed out that I would be inclined
to pay more registration to actually pay for a facility that was better, and
I was quickly corrected that the facility had indeed NOT been free for
2000). I have this feeling the registration for 2000 was $10 or $20 or
something. If no one else verifies, I'll go dig through my old check books
and find the check stub (and I'm absolutely sure 2001 had a fee since I know
I have mailed Christina a check from North Carolina, and by BF 2002 I was
living in Oregon).

It did appear originally that BF 2000 was run by Wamalug, but what I have
heard since is that basically is was Denise, Kevin, Stephen (Wubwub), and
Christina that made it happen.

Hmm, and here's the first announcement with registration information:

http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=596

I was digging around trying to figure out when I first responded to the idea
of BrickFest, I know I was one of the people who responded to the initial
idea.

Ah, here's the registration form for BrickFest 2001:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010604151208/www.brickfest.com/register.html

10 bucks in 2001. Which does indicate still being run by Wamalug...

Certainly a fuzzy past.

Frank