 Announcements / 596
595  |  597
Subject:
East Coast BrickFest information and registration!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 18:56:40 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

...Don't forget! The East Coast BrickFest is less than a month away!! June 9 - 11 2000 in
Arlington Va (just outside of Washington DC).

WEBPAGE!!!

...The Official BrickFest webpage will have information on the East Coast BrickFest very
shortly. The Official BrickFest webpage is at http://brickfest.com/. The page includes a
registration form, directions, hotel information, and some local information for those
NFOLs out there (the page is being finished as I type, so may not be posted just yet!)

THE HOTEL:!!

...The official BrickFest hotel is the Comfort Inn Balston. We have reserved a block of 20
rooms for the fest starting on Thursday nite (if any of you want to get here that early).
Call 703/247-3399 for reservations, be sure to mention that you are with BrickFest (group
1191). Call before June 1 to make sure you get in the block. Rooms are $80 for 2 double
beds, so should fit about 20 ppl each, depending on how close you are :-)

...Also, if you get a room and have spare space or want to share, contact
info@wamalug.org. Or if you are looking to share, contact info@wamalug.org. We will try to
link up interested peoples before the fest.

...The hotel is a couple blocks from the 'Fest (15 min walk? will personally check it out
tomorrow). And is right at a Metro stop.

FOOD:!!

...The Fest is right in the middle of a bazillion places to eat with food from all
ethnicities and all categories. And there is a grocery store about 1 block from the Fest.
We haven't warned any of the places that we will be there yet :-)

...Most Fest Food will likely be run and get what you want or group wise ordering delivery
(pizza!), but there has been talk of doing a big dinner deal on Saturday nite where we
would all descend on a poor helpless restaurant and eat. Whatever happens, you have no
fear of going hungry.

REGISTRATION:!

...Either use the little form on the brickfest.com webpage or email this form to
info@wamalug.org. You do not have to register to attend, but it would be great if we could
get everyone to register so we can have an idea of attendance and can plan events better
(if everyone wants to do town stuff, we will set aside a bigger town room).

...For now, there is no registration fee. We may end up charging one at the door or just
asking for contributions of $5 to $10. Any money collected would go strictly towards
prizes for any contests, buying drinks and little snacks to have on hand, and for doing a
massive collective food order.

***REGISTRATION FORM CUT HERE***
name:
email:
phone #:
location:
how many in your group (and their names would be good):
favourite themes:
Events u want to see and or will do:
    (for an initial list of things we are planning see http://wamalug.org and
http://brickfest.com)

For lodging, mention if you will have spare space in your room or if you are looking for a
place to stay. Hopefully we will be able to link people up before they show up.

Are you bringing along a NFOL? If we get enough NFOLs, we can link them up so they can all
enjoy the many things the DC area has to offer (usually easier to do as a group than
alone). We are NFOL friendly!! :-)

***CUT HERE***

ROUGH SCHEDULE:!!!

...We are interested in what people want to do or what they want to run themselves tho
most of the events will just be freeform. So far, we have the following things planned:

mindstorms stuff:
  displays, programming tricks, maybe a contest or two. We will have a computer on site
with mindstorms 1.5 and NQC on it to program the blocks. We are looking for anyone who has
tinkered with the 2.0 code and can tell us about it. And if you have a spiffy little
program or bot, bring a printout of the code so we can see it :-)

town stuff:
  A big ol town/trian display. Pretty much whatever track and town stuff we can lay our
hands on. It will be a dynamic 'living art' like display with us adding track and bridges
and whatever else we can. This will be going on pretty much full time during the fest.
  Also, we are going to have a workshop on adding DCC to LEGO, automating switches,
sculpting and modeling trains, maybe a module and table construction discussion.
  Most of the display will likely be on the floor (since we don't have that many tables),
but if some of the clubs want to plan for their own display with or without tables, we
will gladly welcome it!

castle stuff:
  Again, a 'living art' approach. Whatever castle or pirate things we can get, we want to
add it to a giant display.
  We will be having a castle modeling workshop, and hopefully some discussions of real
castle architecture. Prolly a few building contests and the like. We would like to do a
discussion/workshop of castleworld too, and would welcome any other people interested in
doing castle things.

technic stuff:
  building contests, displays, workshops and other technic things.

general play:
  There will be a big room of just play and/or everything else we didn't think of. When in
doubt, this room will likely have lots of things going on in it. Possible things in here:
star wars MOCs, heck, for that matter, any old MOC, general building, prolly a few games,
collections and other like things. Prolly a few building contests.
  We are going to be also doing a workshop or two on brick and minifig customization,
modification, and mutilation.
  Also on the general stuff. We will be doing regular excursions to local shopping places
including The Store. We will have maps (or at least paper to sketch out on! :-) And if you
bring along a NFOL, I'm sure we will be able to find out things for them to do too (this
is the DC area, after all).

wargaming:
  We are planning a big BrikWars game or two, a game of Little Stevie's Pirate Game, and
prolly a few other games all around the place. Bring your dice and armies and I'm sure we
can find an opponent.

...you can go back to ignoring me now...

wubwub
stephen f roberts
wamalug guy  (http://wamalug.org)
wildlink.com