 Events / BrickFest / 3752 (-20)
  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Remember that the hotel got their money. Please do not misunderstand me, because I have no idea how much they got, but the hotel did not agree to allow an unspecified number of people to come walking in the facility without taking a cut of the (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest 2007 location

(...) Indy does have an active club (displaying at train & hobby shows year round) and I'm part of a LEGO Robotics club (LafLRC) that's about an hour drive, and would also offer volunteer help. Steve (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

In lugnet.events, Anthony Sava wrote: Snip (...) After lamblasting Anthony for his estimate of time, I would like to support him a little on his arguement here. I think it is a little disengenous for an organizer not to be upfront with where the (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest 2007 location

(...) Personally I think a LEGO retail store is not a necessity (look at BrickFest PDX, or the first couple NW BrickCons, of course now both Seattle and PDX do have stores). In fact, in the past, I used to curse it's existence as a serious (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Ah - admission was $7 for a single day, $10 for both days. Assuming that Joe meant 3000 paid admissions and not 3000 clicks of the turnstile, the take was somewhere between $21000 and $30000, probably on the lower end of that (I'm guessing (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest 2007 location

(...) Jordan, I do not mean to speak for Christina or the BrickFest 2007 Staff but I do have a few comments: Other venues outside of Washington will be explored. Many fans have brought up the fact that a centralized location could cut down driving (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Joe's number for public attendance was (URL) 3000>. I thought admission was $7, for a total of $21000, but if admission was $10, that makes $30000. (...) I am curious about that. Who are the owners of the Brickfest trademark and how much are (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Anthony, I appreciate your attempts to calculate the amount of hours an organizer might put into an event. Indeed it is difficult to fathom the number of hours a person is willing to contribute to something. Allow me a moment to quantify the (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Marc, Yes, volunteers pay their full way. In the spirit of full disclosure, as an organizer, I recevied one embroidered shirt from Joe as part of an effort to place all coordinators in one common, distinctive shirt, so that they could be (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: My BrickFest Photos

(...) Hi Don and all, I finally uploaded all my brickfest photos on brickshelf too .. a lot of work required as they all needed to be resized. Do check them out too! (URL) too had a great time at Brickfest 2006! cheers, "THE" Diana dvirus (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  BrickFest 2007 location

A small contingent of folks expressed interest in moving BrickFest to Indianapolis next year due to its several positive factors: - It is closer to the many AFOLs who don't live on or near the east coast. - It is cheaper to get a hotel room than in (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.announce) !

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) I was the one who came up with thousands of hours, and I actually thought about it before writing it which is a bit unusual with me. I was thinking of Christina's total input of hours for the last 5 or is it 6 years. And I would bet she has (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

I've been reading this dicussion, and have a few thoughts: First off, a consideration of what the event coordinator has to put in: - A fair bit of time, sure, not 1000s of hours (for one event), 1000s of hours is a full time job... Hundreds of hours (...) (18 years ago, 11-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Flattery Will Get You Nowhere (Was: BrickFest Registration Fees)

Folks, 'Sbeen a little while since I've been in here, and I must say, honestly I can't leave you kids alone for a second! :) I've decided to reply to Anthony's post, not because my words are necessarily directed at him, but because...well, I'm not (...) (18 years ago, 11-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  My BrickFest Photos

My Brickfest Photos: (URL) you enjoy viewing these as much as I did taking them and being there. -- Don GtwLUG Lugnet#1239 St. Louis, Mo., USA (18 years ago, 11-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest) !

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) That's fine. More food and walking space for the rest of us. (18 years ago, 11-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Joe, thanks for the info-note. I'm honestly one of those who believe that organizers should be compensated, at least 100% of their expenses (including mileage, phone, plane, etc), but I also hope that Brickfest can start maintaining a "cash (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Well Anthony, I am sorry you feel that way, but I will tell you from my own personal experience that I, as a strong participant in AFOL events, have helped arrange, coordinate, setup, present, book, organize, and generally help any way I can. (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX) !

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Anthony, I was the one who made that statement about thousands of hours, and if you look at it, I was saying thousands for Christina, hundreds for Joe. I was talking about cumulative hours for Christina, and feel confident that over all the (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees

(...) Where do you get these ideas? They're *opinions*, not fact. Of course staffing a convention can be employment. It doesn't *have* to be payment-free or volunteer work. And event money *can* go to paying staff. Do you not understand that (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact