 Events / BrickFest / 3072
Group project: RCX units run emergence simulation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 21 May 2005 19:37:45 GMT

I've wondered about this for over a year now, but haven't brought it up because
of not making it to the BF events. Now I can't stand it anymore and must ask.

Have RCX owners considered pooling their units to run an event-long simulation?
Each of us probably own 4 or more units. (I know I do.)

Distributed experiment basics:

- Each RCX unit is configured in exactly the same way for this group project.
- The collection of units is roped off, or, preferably, is in its own small
room.
- Data is collected throughout the weekend.
- The event concludes with examination of the simulation results.

Example projects:

- Watch the Game of Life, Live. on/off light on ea unit. run in a dark room. IR
used for detection of neighbors' status? Units remain stationary and are powered
directly.

- Proof of Emergence. units are given "termite woodchip piling" rules[1].
- Each autonomous robot is built with the same construction.
- Visuals get collected via overhead camera for time-lapse playback.
- Periodically, time is frozen for battery refreshment.
- "wood chip" elements are dispersed on a play field at start.
- The chips -should- end up collected into a few large piles, thanks to a
shockingly simple program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergence

Obviously there are serious limitations, which could limit the fun, but I'm
wondering what other people think.

-Suz

[1]
Wander.
See chip? pick up chip.
Wander.
See chip? drop chip.
repeat.

of course additional program definitions would be necessary for obstacle
avoidance, chip detection, method of grabbing and holding, etc.