 Events / 876
Re: Connection speeds at home
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 20:40:26 GMT

In lugnet.events, Calum Tsang wrote:
   Hi folks,

Jeff Van Winden and I are planning something (rtlToronto-speak for no promises) but need to know roughly how fast the general public’s network connections are.

If you’re interested in seeing live video (speeches) from BrickFest at home on your computer, email me and let me know:

-If you would actually watch and care if we did it. -the version of Windows Media Player you’re using -how fast your connection (ie, DSL) and if you know your download speed in KB/sec)

I need to judge whether or not anyone cares, how much server provisioning I need, quality of streams available, and whether to bother.

Hi, Calum, I don’t most of those things because I’m at music camp, but I’ve used a few live streams and they’ve worked before. (I use cable)

I would really appreciate a live feed from Brickfest, as IMHO many others who cannot attend. I’d reccomend just poking around and figuring out the fastest possible quality that is still acceptable. If they are just speeches, and don’t need any high-quality video, you could always really compress the video but keep the audio quality up.

But please try! I’d really like to have a live feed.

-JHK