 Events / 2313
Re: SpringBrick: A hypothetical LEGO convention
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2007 14:39:46 GMT

I really like the concept of SpringBrick, however I see a neat opportunity for you guys to do something different than what the traditional Fests offer.

Choosing a date where out-of-state AFOLs could attend might be an issue. As my oldest enters Kindergarten I foresee scheduling issues; and if I’m headed to Florida, I want to spend the majority of my time on the beach or at Disneyland. If there is a LEGO event, I could see popping in for a day/afternoon.

Perhaps SpringBrick could be setup more like a one-day venue (Saturday?) focused more towards the local community. Local LUGS/AFOLs can have MOCs setup for everyone to admire and with some vendors showing up to sell their wares for a day. Contests and giveaways geared more towards children would draw in more people from the local community. I envision the AFOLs catching up with each other while the kids are either participating in an event or simply sitting next to a pile of bricks - building something they can take home as both a memento of their vacation and time spent at SpringBrick. The venue could shut down early (4pm?) allowing the AFOLs to have their own event, meet up for dinner or simply catch a drink at the local watering hole. To play up the Spring Break angle and better facilitate schedules of vacationers you could repeat the even the following Saturday. I don’t think it would be out of the question to charge a small admission fee to the public as long as it’s well catered to them.

Q: Would an AFOL on spring break with their family spend a few days of their vacation at such an event? A: I’d see our family only stopping by for a day.

Q: How do you go to a LEGO event without hauling around MOCs and still enjoy your vacation? A: I think hauling around LEGO would make it more difficult to enjoy a spring break vacation, especially if you were flying.

Q: Go to this event with no LEGO, but maybe take LEGO away from an event. A: Of course no vacation is complete without leaving with some souvenirs!

Q: What could you do at this event that would include LEGO somehow? A: For me, I’d just be interested in talking to other AFOLs and admiring MOCs. My kids would love to just play in a pile of bricks and/or take place in some building contests/class.

Q: How do you pay for the cost of such event? A: I think you have the right idea here. Advertisements in a mini-BrickJournal edition could cover most of the costs of the venue and other costs. I also wouldn’t see anything wrong with charging $5 (adult) $2 (children) for the day which is still enticing enough for both locals and those on vacations.

-Kyle