 Education / 188
Re: Cool LEGO Architecture examples?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.arch, lugnet.cad, lugnet.edu
Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 02:31:35 GMT

Thanks to everyone who's posted and emailed me privately so far. Once
Brickshelf gets up and running again, I'll go in and try to find some stuff to
show my students in my "Intro" presentation on the first day of class.

If they are>familiar with architectural modeling with wood, plastic and paper,
though, they>may see little point in modeling with LEGO - it's a lot more
limiting, and>expensive.

The part I like about making architectural LEGO models in CAD is I have an
unlimited source of free bricks! (Not to mention being able to fly inside and
look around)

But then again, they might just find it a lot of fun :-)

This last point is what I was hoping to inspire by bringing LEGO into the
classroom, with little success so far (for the Arch students, at least).

Building things with LEGO entails a lot of problem solving in three
dimensions. My Mechanical students get that, because if they put a gear in the
wrong place the car goes backwards. My Architectural students...

Let me also be clearer here: I'm teaching 3D CAD, not Architecture itself.
These students come from the Architecture department to me in the CAD
department to learn how to use the computer, not to learn how to design houses.
I thought they would think of it as a fun and different way to learn geeky
computer commands; they felt it was totally unrelated to their field.

I've retreated to using basic LEGO structures to teach only basic 3D CAD
commands (how to make shapes, move them, rotate them, copy them, put shapes
together, etc.). I've backed off from trying to push students into using LEGO
for their actual class projects, because I think a lot of them just don't see
the fun in it.

What wrong with these kids today!  }^)

Building affordable architectural models with LEGO involves selective
compression. • <snip>
but architects may desire better scale and realism, which is time-consuming • and>expensive to achieve with LEGO.

Can anyone shed some more light on the exact techniques required here? Having
never built a large scale architectural model myself (perhaps this is part of
my problem) can you outline the steps you took from blueprint/photographs to
actual model making? Did you use blueprints? Did you use computers? Or did you
just sit down with several bucketloads of bricks and start building?

How did you decide on scale and compression?

Is there a site somewhere explaining all the different techniques to get
different shapes/effects? (e.g. SNOT) I'm particularly interested in wall
openings and custom shaped windows.

Unfortunately, the Abston Church is offline at the moment.

Amy, is there any way you can email the chuch images to me? I have a feeling
they would be the hit of my presentation.

Please post pictures of what your students come up with :-)

Well, at the moment they're all cars. I'm trying to write a book about 3D
AutoCAD, and when I get to the gallery part I'll need to collect all the CAD
files and pick the best ones.

Bram's Fallingwater model made me rethink an idea I had earlier about pairing
LEGO with my class. Our students already study FLW's textile brick houses in
their Arch classes (there are a ton of them in the L.A. area; unfortunately
they're all falling apart!) Two semesters ago, they went on a field trip to the
Ennis-Brown house, which just SCREAMS to be made into a LEGO MOC. Has anyone
done this yet? Maybe I'll do it in class myself, and get the kids to help me.
What do you guys think? Any tips and techniques would be appreciated, as I'm
pretty much a Technic guy.

Thanks again,

Darrell