 Education / 130 (-20)
  NJRC 2000 in Singapore

Hi, educators This may be of interest to people who have to organise or prepare kids to take part in robotics competitions. The National Junior Robotics Competition (NJRC) 2000 which is in its 2nd year running, was held from 5-7 Sep in Singapore. (...) (24 years ago, 2-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.sg, lugnet.edu)

  Re: Suggestions for prizes?

(...) 3038- Spider Slayer seems to be on final clearance for $14.98 at many TRUs around the country. I can still find this item near me as of last week, so if anyone is looking for it, let me know and I'll see what I can do. If you are VERY lucky (...) (24 years ago, 28-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu, lugnet.general)

  Re: Suggestions for prizes?

Head to your local TRU they did have some really cheap cyber slam sets. I got a spider slayer for $15.00 and a second one for $7.50 because the box was severely mutilated. Both sets are complete, big and feature a motor along with a lot of little (...) (24 years ago, 28-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu, lugnet.general)

  FLL Team/Robotics Class information

I finally got around to posting some of the lesson plans, homework, etc. for FLL Team #1096 (The Unibots) to lugnet. Eventually this will all move to the school's web site, but until I get access to my little corner of the school web site, I am (...) (24 years ago, 28-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Plano 1258 storage for Classroom Robotics

I got enough requests for the PDF version of my box labels that I put them up on Brickshelf: (URL) (24 years ago, 28-Sep-00, to lugnet.storage, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu)

  Attribute blocks

Math teachers for grades 1 - 9 use Attribute Blocks to teach relational logic with math manipulatives. Similarly, we can use Lego blocks as attribute manipulatives to teach relational logic, e.g.,: - Classify blocks and put them in sets. - Identify (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Suggestions for prizes?

Hi all, I'm coaching an FLL team, and we are beginning to have some intra-team competitions as a way to get some practice, etc. before the real deal begins. What I'm looking for are some suggestions for small prizes (I'm not made out of money, or (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu, lugnet.general)

  Re: Writing A Proposal

In lugnet.publish, Suzanne D. Rich writes: <nifty book> Cool (...) Where in the ULR do we need to insert the /lugnet/, and at what step. For instance, showing us where it goes in the following URLs might be helpful. (or are they not what you were (...) (24 years ago, 22-Sep-00, to lugnet.cad.datfest, lugnet.publish, lugnet.edu, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: learning by age bracket? (was.....

Howdy, (...) Yes. About a billion of them. In theory, each state's curriculum standards reflect this. You might want to take a look at the National Association for the Education of Young Children's "Guidelines for Appropriate Curriculum Content and (...) (24 years ago, 21-Sep-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: learning by age bracket? (was.....

Aside from the thread on gender and learning -- which I'm steering clear of -- what about learning wrt age ranges? Are there any generally-accepted, broadbased guidelines for learning approaches best suited for different ages? this could mean lesson (...) (24 years ago, 21-Sep-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: Modelling boolean gates with trains

(...) For those of a mathematical disposition, I vaguely remember an article on the subject of building computing logics out of train tracks in 'Eureka' (the annual journal of the Cambridge University undergraduate math society, the Archimedeans) a (...) (24 years ago, 20-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.edu, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Modelling boolean gates with trains

(...) If NOT is reversing direction, than 1 is forward and 0 is back. (Or the other way around; whatever.) But I'd be curious to hear how you envision more complicated logic! (24 years ago, 20-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.edu, lugnet.trains)

  Modelling boolean gates with trains

Okay, this might be totally impossible (or insane or banal), but has anyone modelled boolean functions on a train layout (System or Duplo)? At the moment I'm thinking "train on the line"=1, "not on the line"=0. NOT could be done by reversing the (...) (24 years ago, 20-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.edu, lugnet.trains)

  Re: New

Howdy, ...congrats! I look forward to any questions or insights into integrating Legos into education! Richard rwright@pcsedu.com www.weirdrichard.com (...) (24 years ago, 18-Sep-00, to lugnet.edu)

  New

Hi, I just joined. (24 years ago, 17-Sep-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: Plano 1258 storage for Classroom Robotics

Howdy, ...very nice! I still like my school's design with a mobile cart and removeable tubbies for the majority of parts. ( Take a look at (URL) for an example ). There are so many Lego elements in our labs, the stowaway boxes can become difficult (...) (24 years ago, 15-Sep-00, to lugnet.storage, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu)

  Legos and Optics

Howdy all, I recieved some email from a fellow working on a senior project involving using everyday objects in physics education. Specifically he is curiously about building optical instruments with Legos. Here is what I came up with.... (...) (24 years ago, 15-Sep-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: math 5-year-old child 1 x n bricks overlapping courses

(...) LEGO Cuisenaire Rods! Of course there are a few missing pieces to make a proper set, you need: 1x1 white 1x2 red 1x3 bright green (yea right!) 1x4 magenta (yea right!) 1x5 yellow (good luck!) 1x6 green 1x7 black (good luck!) 1x8 brown 1x9 blue (...) (24 years ago, 14-Sep-00, to lugnet.edu)

  math 5-year-old child 1 x n bricks overlapping courses

The 5-year-old child discovered "higher" math with 1 x n bricks. The child played into a structural 1x brick goal of a 12-stud assembly. Needing to lock the first course (row) of 3 4-stud bricks by overlapping the second row, the child discovered a (...) (24 years ago, 14-Sep-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: Plano 1258 storage for Classroom Robotics

Ralph Hempel <rhempel@bmts.com> wrote in message news:000201c01ceb$43...@pro150... (...) (More (...) I've been involved with education for over a decade (judging science fairs, PTA, School Site Council, etc.) I've just *finally* gotten the (...) (24 years ago, 12-Sep-00, to lugnet.storage, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact