 Duplo / 405
Re: Duplo Figure Causes Injury. Help Sought From Parents/LEGO.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.duplo
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 02:31:08 GMT

In lugnet.duplo, Matthew Gerber writes:
Does the figure do that "soft-snap" thing I described?

Bob 1 (from Bob, Lofty and the mice), doesn't really "snap" at all.  However
Bob 2 (from 3276) and Wendy both do a "soft snap".  If I try really really
hard I can sort of pinch my skin in passing in both of these but it doesn't
hurt.

Will do a scientific Duplo figure analysis sometime this weekend and get
back to you.
I'm imagining some sterile white room, with you in a full containment
suit... 8?D

*Removes goggles and wipes brow*
Seems I was imagining the differences. There are two different molds for
adult Duplo figures of recent years (different mold markings on the back of
the figures) but they are identical in form and function.  The difference in
snappiness would seem to be from manufacturing/assembly tolerances and isn't
visible.

Bob 1(no snap), Bob 2 and Wendy (both soft snap) and the guy from this
year's Forest Picnic with the tophat (no snap) are all from the "new" mold.
The guy from this year's Octan gas truck is the "old mold" and is a soft snap.

Previous years sets (mainly in the era 1994 - 1998 and all the old mold): A
random sampling came up with about 15% no snap, 80% soft snap, and ~5%
"OUCH!"  That was one figure, the paramedic guy from the ambulance (can't
find the set number on lugnet, circa 1995).  Now he really does hurt! - if
this is what your Bob does I completely understand why you are concerned.
(I'm assuming what you and I call soft snaps are different).

If it's any consolation, neither my son nor I have ever suffered any
injuries from any of the figures (apart from this experiment where I was
deliberately trying!!).  I've also noticed that children handle Duplo
figures differently.  Kids tend to push on the front of the feet to make a
figure sit or stand whereas an adult would bend it at the waist in such a
way as to be more likely to succumb to a snap injury.

Incidentally, the child figures avoid this potential problem all together as
the legs are further forward of the back when in a standing position.

Perhaps you could see if Lego would send you another Bob?  I'd also be
interested to know if you have any success with the exacto knife.

Deidre (who got enough funny looks while digging Bob out of the box and so
isn't quite game enough to build the trucks at her desk :) )
drb@tasmail.com

Chicken! <g,d,r!>

'twas more the noise, indicated I was not working :)  If Duplo was quieter I
wouldn't have had any qualms!  Actually I did build Lofty after 5pm and was
surprised at the amount of interest (Lego makes Bob the Builder? wow, must
get one of those for my nephew etc).

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com