 Dear LEGO / 5369
Re: What I think should happen to Mindstorms.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:03:02 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, danny staple <orionrobots@gmail.com> wrote:

I really think the Pneumatic/RCX tie in set would be good

   I think some automation of the pneumatic parts would be a good step. For
example an RCX-controled switch would be a very welcome addition. Right now I
don't use my pneumatic parts much, because integrating them with the RCX is a
lot of trouble. Compressors can be efficient, and *dumb* - they don't really
need the RCX. But switching (or better yet integrating it with a true four-port
switch) would open up a lot of possibilities.
   If there was a part like this, designing a set to showcase it and get it out
to the consumer might be a good step, but I'm not sure I'd package it with the
RCX et. al. For me, that would drive the cost up, (I don't need the RCX etc.,
just the new stuff), while for new folks, the "pneumatic expansion set" could be
also sold bundled with the RIS 2.0 (similar to how S@H started selling the RIS
bundled with capacitors, IR remote, etc.). This way you don't need a new
composite product, just an expansion set.
   I'm really not sure if just repacking the RIS would increase sales, and I
know it's not what I would like to see. I want to see some improvement or
expansion, using the "new" technology of the last decade or so. But I *do* like
the idea of adding pneumatic elements to RIS.

a simple old Light and Sound box that can be used
merely to operate a compressor

   I'm not familier with the "light & sound box" - what is that? I usually
operate a compressor with a polarity switch, small piston (pressure cut-off) and
a battery box.

I am sure they could get a lot out of repacking/regrouping some of
these sets

   Why? And not that they haven't done that, to some extent (again, the bundles
from S@H), I'm just not seeing it as injecting new life into the line.

I get the funny feeling, that the pessamist in the last thread was
right - they are just going to make more pale green peices and slap a
Harry Potter logo on it

   Well, at BrickFest (and in other venues) we've heard TLG repeat "Mindstorms
is not dead", so I hold out hope.

--
Brian Davis