 Robotics / 24604
24603  |  24605
Subject:
What I think should happen to Mindstorms.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:11:44 GMT

I think they should NOT make a new RCX.
They should take the existing RCX brick.
And the existing IR tower.
And the existing electrical bits (sensors and motors). New sensors would be
nice but would have a high initial R&D/setup-for-manufacturing cost.
They could keep the same software (but updated to work as good as possible
on current systems e.g. with patches for hyperthreading applied
out-of-the-box) or they could add new features to it.
Then, they could take technic parts they are already producing (for other
sets such as the crane, bionicle sets, forklift, motorbike, excavator etc)
and build a new set of parts.
Then they could build a new constructopedia to use the new parts with.
They could also build an "upgrade kit" (which would contain any new
software, the new constructopedia and any parts in the "3.0" not in the "2.0").

Or, another option would be to take the technic bits and new
constructopedia and make an accessory set (which would essentially be the
same thing as the upgrade kit mentioned above).

The only costs to do either of these options would be the cost for the new
constructopedia and the costs for box art. It would "breathe life" into
mindstorms (because the 3.0 is "new", it would be more likely to get
exposure vs a set thats several years old now) and it would send the
message that mindstorms is not dead.