 Dear LEGO / 5339
Re: Hurricane Katrina Relief Suggestion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 3 Sep 2005 17:06:59 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   In lugnet.dear-lego, Melody Brown wrote:
   In lugnet.dear-lego, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
   In lugnet.dear-lego, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   Dear LEGO,

I don’t know if this is something that would be logistically possible or even welcome, but I can’t help but think that a truckload or two of LEGO sets dropped off at the Houston Astrodome would go a long ways towards keeping thousands of kids occupied, and it might help boost morale during a very desperate time in many peoples’ lives.

Sincerely, Kelly McKiernan Parent and LEGO Ambassador

That’s a nice idea, but I can’t help thinking about the impact of thousands of bricks on bare feet, and the sound of thousands of bricks on a concrete floor - you might end up with some cranky adults. If TLG wants to do something besides donating money to the Red Cross, how about a few pallets of books?

Marc Nelson Jr.

LEGO is cool, but I’m not so sure that is needed just yet? I mean is there any clean surfaces to play on? Wouldn’t food, medical and personal essentials be one of the most important items needed?

It’s my understanding that food, sanitation, clothing, and medical supplies are being worked on now, by federal agencies in charge of such things (specifically FEMA). What I’m not sure will be provided in the short or medium term are “extras” like toys for children. Maybe LEGO wouldn’t be the best choice - but it’s certainly an option. Something for the kids to look forward to doing, and is creative and doesn’t run out of batteries, and can be shared.

This suggestion is in addition to other relief efforts, not in lieu of them.

As far as becoming spread out and becoming a nuisance, that’s possible, although it probably wouldn’t take too much space to set up a free build area, like at BrickFest.

Books are a good idea too, but the faces that struck me from watching CNN coverage were the younger ones - 5 or 6 or so. And of course how are many 10-14 year olds will willingly read a book these days, if it isn’t Harry Potter?

Kelly

I like the idea of doing something.

Perhaps something from the Lego clothing range would be best in the short term, along with a ruck sack to keep a few items in while they’re living out of a bag in a rescue centre.

A set with just a few large pieces would be best for the time being, perhaps Jack Stone for the 4-6s, Bionicle for older ones, since it’s less easy to lose bigger pieces.

Something like the My House (4886) Designer set would be great when the rebuilding starts because the children could play out the positive rebuilding theme that’s happening around them. I’m not sure a toy with lots of small pieces is the best thing while the situation is chaotic.

If it would be easier to use a small amount of stuff could entertain many kids then perhaps group games are better. I see a Lego soccer ball is available in the UK, but it’s currently sold out.

Mark