 Dear LEGO / 4629
4628  |  4630
Subject:
Lego club unhelpful answers for kids.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 17:28:11 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

So, I was looking at <http://club.lego.com/ask/Default.asp?x=x>. It's a
place for kids to send in questions to be answered by "The Amazing Redini".
Okay, so it's obviously not a extremely formal QA area, but it does have
lots of interesting facts -- for example, the bit about 84 different colors
currently being produced. Each page shows a random selection of previous
answers. If you reload enough, you'll eventually get the one I got:

  Could you please give me a list of all the retired LEGO sets?
   -- Adam,11,United States

And the answer:

  I tried to put a list together for you, Adam. But as you might know,
  retired LEGO sets go to Florida, where they sit on the beach and play
  "Go-Fish" all afternoon and talk about the "good old days." Once in a
  while, they play some golf (but they're always getting run over by the
  carts). If I hear from any, I'll tell them to call you.

Cute, but in fact, as we all know, is that there's several excellent places
to find that information -- say, for example, <http://guide.lugnet.com/>.

I understand there's probably a reluctance to link off-site, but even
telling the poor kid that if he asked his parents to search for "lego set
guide" on Google, he'd get some useful information back would be better than
this.

At the very least, don't tell him anything at all -- pick another question
to answer. As it is, when the kid does find out -- if ever -- he'll have
learned pretty early on that Lego's official word isn't a very trustworthy
way to find out about Lego's products. Is that really what you want?

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>