 Dear LEGO / 4360
Re: clutch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 07:33:02 GMT

"Jim Kovacs" <jkovacs@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:HL0xMq.4s6@lugnet.com...

One of my other hobbies (nitro RC Cars and trucks) uses this method.
http://www2.gpmd.com/image/t/trac4470.jpg
you will notice that the "gear" in the picture has holes all the way around.
(Similar to a large technic gear)....friction pegs slip into these holes. This
gives you some amount of adjustability based on how many pegs you choose to use.
http://www2.gpmd.com/image/t/trac9685.jpg

but i think the pegs on my picture are only to fix the rubber disk

This is a very effective way of controlling slip. An RC car engine can easily spin up to 30000
rpms so dust from the pegs is quite apparent after some use. I doubt anyone will get a lego motor to
spin that fast   :) .....but I would still be concerned with dust.

yeah
i saw some pictures on the web
where the lego-dust appears :)

The pictures I listed do not show the rest of the setup, which involves a shaft
through the center of the gear..a spring some large washers and a nut. The more
you tighten the nut...the less slip you get...

maybe my idea is too simple to be named a clutch
but all TLC mechanisms are simple
and they mark (in a way) the real mechanisms
of course this simpicity it great
it's the power of TLC's mechanisms

br
pixel