 Dear LEGO / 4312
Re: A Discovery Mars question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 16:38:31 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Mike Case wrote:
Are the solar panels stenciled or stickers?

     I can't remember what they were for stuff like the ISS and the satellite
from the Discovery, but the Mars Rover panels appeared to be some sort of
lightweight foam-board (about 3/16" thick I believe) with the solar panel design
painted on.  I don't remember ever seeing that material used in any sets before,
though I suppose it might have been used in a less traditional set.  The
downside is that they will probably be more prone to breakage, but the upside is
that they should sag nearly as much as they would if they were ABS.  Also, not
all models shown at Toy Fair have reached their final production stage (such as
the prototype Snowtrooper helmet), so it's possible that these will not be part
of the final design.  Highly unlikely (they did look rather finalized), but
possible.

When these were shown at BW, it struck me that the impression given by Jake and
Brad was that the foamboard was preproduction rather than production. But it
could have been a deliberate misimpression or I could be misremembering...

(I tried to suppress some memories in that general time vicinity since I managed
to dislodge some pieces from that model on display and didn't manage to get them
back on correctly... :-) )