 Dear LEGO / 4017
4016  |  4018
Subject:
To My Dearest Toy Company
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 13:50:57 GMT

Dear Lego,

In the 2003 lineup of toys that your company would produce, I would humbly
like to add a few suggestions.  As you are currently aware, the production
of lego sets in the Pirate, Space and Castle lines are somewhat... ahem...
limited.  To combat this, new releases in these three themes would be most
appreciated.

In the Pirate scene, I would sincerely love to have a "goodguy" capital ship
(bluecoat, redcoat or spanish - or possibly a new style).  One the same size
as the Black Seas Barracuda that is being re-released as a legend.  A new,
smaller pirate ship would compliment this very well, and would not effect
sales of the aforementioned BSB.  Additionally to this, many people would
sincerely love to see the return of pirate minifig packs, particularly those
with a) female minifigs b) bluecoats and c) redcoats.

For the castle line, I, and I'm sure many others, would be thrilled to find
out about a castle for King Leo's enemies.  One with many grey bricks, and
preferably without a raised baseplate (though this is only a preference).
Minifig packs for castle would also be greatly appreciated as there is very
little available these days in terms of army boosting sets.

The space series represents a different line of thought from what has been
released in the last few years.  Space and science fiction is usually just
cowboys and indians in space.  This is what we want.  Judging by reactions
on LUGNET, the most popular series were Classic Space, Space Police 1 and
Blacktron 1.  A few other sets have scored very highly in ratings.  Sets
such as the Allied avenger (BT2).  So what I propose is not one, but two new
space lines.  Blacktron 3 and Space Police 3.  Good guys vs Bad guys.  The
sets released should contain a capital ship and a base for each side, a
couple of medium fighters per side, possibly a walker in similar vein to the
BT1 walker, and a few smaller sets for boosting minifig numbers.

The biggest problem with the current sets is that there is absolutely no
reason to buy more than one copy of each set (except starwars)!  This is
mainly due to a few things.  The biggest of which is:  How many Harry
Potters does one person want?  How many Darth vaders does one person need?
Luke Skywalkers? Ogels even?  We do need personal minifigs, and characters
we care about, but packs and packs of pawns are also needed to compliment
the heros.  Currently the minifig packs available are overpriced and look
more like collectors items than army boosters.

Too many specialty parts is not a good thing either.  A person recently
posted on LUGNET about the difference between a classic space set and a
modern set and the playability of each.  I will also draw a comparison for
arguement's sake.  http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6887 The allied Avenger vs
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7312 the T3 trike.  Both have around 100 parts,
but it is easy to see that when playing with them, the allied avenger is
more customisable and has a longer play value due to less specialty parts.
All too frequently these days sets contain far too many specialty parts that
have no place in any other theme.  Most have very poor compatability with
user creations even!

It is unfortunate that I cannot go to the shops and look forward to seeing
the whole lego line and deciding what I want at the shop.  Instead I have to
decide on a specific set and try to find that set because the signal to
noise ratio of lego sets has forced me to do so.

In the early '90s, when lego first released the pirates line, it was proven
to be the most successful line that lego had ever sold.  The only reason
that it lost popularity was because of poor ship design (ala Red Beard
Runner) and lack of advertising (the sole reason that I went and got nearly
the whole line of pirates as a kid was due to the ads on tv where the kids
were grouped around a table and firing cannons and fun things like that :) ).

So please, my dearest toy company, please will you bring back the pirate,
castle and space lines of toys.  You talk about getting back to your roots
as a company.  Well your roots are these three lines.  Grey parts packs
would be nice as well.

Sincerely,

Stephen Hurn