 Dear LEGO / 374
Re: Lego product distribution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 14:37:43 GMT

In lugnet.general, Thomas Main writes:
I have noticed that hardly any specialty toy stores I have been to have
Lego on their shelves.  I always see Brio and Playmobil and sometimes
even LGB trains, but I very rarely see Lego.  When I ask the store owner
if they have Lego, the response is usually a polite no, but sometimes
the person seems to almost take offense that something so commonplace
and "mass market" would be in their store.

I have always wondered why Lego didn't pursue the small toy store and
get more of its product onto small toy store shelves.  The benefits
gained would be an impression of Lego as a quality toy - like
Playmobil.  Lego could encourage the small toy stores to carry product
that doesn't sell well in mass retail outlets - like the Train theme and
service packs (this would also allow the toy store to offer Lego that
wasn't so commonplace).

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think Lego doesn't do this
because it is too large of a company.  They distribute all their NA
product through a factory in Enfield, CT (as far as I know) and only
want to deal with large customers like Wal*Mart and Toys'R'Us.  What I
think they may need is a company that would handle small-scale
distribution for them.  This company would also be a big buyer and its
job would be to sell to the small, independent toy stores.  What do
ya'll think?  By catering to both the discerning toy buyer as well as
the mass merchants, Lego may even be able to sell town sets other than
"town jr."

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu

There are many small stores that sell Lego sets.  I think the ones that don't,
just don't want to (for some odd, infathomable reason).

Jeff