 Dear LEGO / 3713
Re: Studios accesories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 18:29:51 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Darren Townsend writes:
I've had Lego Studios for a while now and have been patiently waiting for
TLG to release some sets that would actually help me to make my own movies,
instead of sets that let me film a movie about dinosaurs.

I would tend to agree. I've been expecting add-on packs akin to Mindstorms,
and so far, all we've seen is the inclusion of new licensed product into the
line.

My thought is that Studios started as a great idea, but was bastardized into
a dumping/proving ground for short-run movie license sets (note the small
selection of Jurassic Park and Spider Man Studios sets), or, like mentioned
below, a theme about the crew making the movies, not a play experience about
making your own (otherwise, why sets like 1357 Cameraman and 1361 Camera
Car? Completely useless the the concept..)

Where are the
working lights, camera tracks/booms, and generically useful sets?

Of course I'm certain that TLC has been through the design stages of many of
the products that would really enhance the Studios experience, I too have
been puzzled by the absence of several key elements, like working
lights...what could be more key to movie making than learning about a three
light set-up? I was shocked when I discovered that the lights in the
original set (1349) were just for looks! Besides the glaring (but sadly, not
unexpected 8?(   ) lack of Macintosh support for the software/camera, it was
the exclusion of lights that kept me from buying the set.

We don't
all want to make a movie about making a movie, so why the
cameramen/directors/wind machine(who the hell thought that was a good idea!!??)?
I check the website regularly, hoping for some downloadable extras for
Studios (sound effects, backgrounds, etc) but it last seems to have been
updated over 12 months ago. Come on, where's all the new stuff?

Like I said above, I'm sure these "REAL" expansions and add-ons have been
discussed, but the line has derailed...it would take a real effort on TLCs
part to pull it out at this late date...

I'm imagining a Sound Studio set, with audio production software that
integrates with the Movie Maker software (Windows only, of course), a good
LEGO microphone, and ideas for creating sound effects with LEGO elements and
stuff around the house. Also, sample scripts to create voice overs from, and
tips on writing your own.

How about that Lighting Crew set, with real working lights (either
battery-powered or multiple lights connected to a single transformer),
towers, gels, reflectors, and in-depth instuctions on how to light scenes
for best effect.

Where's the Pan, Tilt and Dolly Set, where you can make a travelling tripod
on tracks, with instructions and parts for variations to do different types
of shot, like pan, tilt, dolly, rack, etc..

Wouldn't it be cool to have add-on sound effect and music CDs (perhaps 3"
discs), in different genrés and styles, to add functionality to the overall
experience (kids don't know how to/can't get royalty-free music...TLCs
encouraging them to use stuff they CAN get their hands on...which means
copyrighted things...a bad lesson to teach/learn). At the very least, this
could be kept up on the web site, with weekly or monthly updates.

And aren't kids (and adults) ready for an upgrade to a FireWire based
digital video camera?

Just some thoughts from a video professional, who won't even buy Studios, no
matter how fun it might actually be, until the concept is ramped up to truly
teach important production concepts, and includes the proper gear to do so.

Matt