 Dear LEGO / 3677
  Re: Hey Brad! Why not rerelease an *unpowered* monorail set?

(...) Well, the track segments are fairly large parts, which means (I think) the cost of developing the molds is higher. And the track would require at least a three-part mold, because there are studs facing left and right. (...) True. Steve (22 years ago, 17-Jan-02, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Hey Brad! Why not rerelease an *unpowered* monorail set?

You could get around that by running your seam down the ceter of the studs. There would still be no undercuts. Thus a 2 part mold. Probably too large a piece with no retun on investment gaurantee. Still sounds fishy to me. (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jan-02, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Hey Brad! Why not rerelease an *unpowered* monorail set?

"crunch-o-matic" <naughty.monkey@verizon.net> wrote in message news:Gq5016.G01@lugnet.com... (...) studs. (...) a (...) .... only thing is the studs on the sides of the monorail track are the hollow type which accept things the size of minifig (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jan-02, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Monorail track molds? Factory visits?

You might be right if the molds are rigid. It could be done in 2 parts if the mold is flexible like vulcanized rubber or silicon (or low-tech like Knox gelatin and anitfreeze, or even hot glue). They were injected from the center top, you can see (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jan-02, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Hey Brad! Why not rerelease an *unpowered* monorail set?

In lugnet.dear-lego, Steve Bliss writes: (snipped) (...) Why so? The studs could be different from the original version: instead of pressed from the top (of the stud), both halves of the mold could press the studs sideways (note that I am referreing (...) (22 years ago, 19-Jan-02, to lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Monorail track molds? Factory visits?

(...) TLC's molds are machined metal (there are pictures in some of the books and examples at Legoland. The track is also "honeycombed" on the bottom. Frank (22 years ago, 19-Jan-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Monorail track molds? Factory visits?

Proof positive that I don't know everything. Frank, in your opinion would you say the "honeycomb" is an inherent part of the molding processing or a way to save on material? Retaining the strength of the unit while using far less ABS? What about (...) (22 years ago, 19-Jan-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Monorail track molds? Factory visits?

(...) Material and weight savings while retaining strength. (...) I believe baseplates are vacuum formed. Vacuum forming is usually a one piece mold and the item must be able to "fall" out. There is another molding process which I guess is vaccuum (...) (22 years ago, 19-Jan-02, to lugnet.general)