 Dear LEGO / 3472
Re: Double sided plate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 06:51:34 GMT

"Kevin Salm" <kdsalm@dreamscape.com> writes:

I have a dozen or so 2x2 double-female and a few 2x2 double-male
pieces that I believe to be TYCO.

Are these plates or bricks?  My experience indicates that a stud is
slightly taller than half the width of a plate.  Hence, a double
female connector has to be taller than a plate, I believe.

To verify my experience above, try to put a plate sideways down
between two studs.  Where the stud from the plate and the other one
meet, they "collide" before the plate makes it all the way down.

There has been some discussion on Lugnet about gender changers
before and someone pointed out to me that the Technic half-beams
[2] work great as gender changers.  Haven't had occasion to try
this yet but I am sure it does work.

The problem with the half beams is that they are slightly taller than
a plate.  They also have rounded ends.  Hence, they are hard to
incorporate in a wall, say.

Fredrik