 Dear LEGO / 3272
Re: LEGO cheat on LEWA graphic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 03:48:32 GMT

The side of the sheet I am refering to is the one with the large full-page
image.  The right knee is bent in a position that 1) is not possible for the
part provided, and 2) is a configuration not made by LEGO.  While some may
consider this a minor "artistic license" sort of thing, I consider nothing
other than false advertising.  The image is computer-generated, but a great
deal of effort has been made to render every part realistically.

Why would they go to the trouble of doing that, then bending the knee?  To
make the character more animated than it is.  You can imagine the awkward
pose this would have if the knee were straightened to the proper angle.

I have not analyzed any of other images for similar cheats.  But this
clearly is a cheat.  I would love to have positionable knees like LEGO feels
it needs to present its toys.  But they should never make an image of their
products which is just plain false.

Geez, somebody else complaining about this?  See the other thread:
http://news.lugnet.com/technic/bionicle/?n=796

Why all the fuss here?  I think the only action figures in the history of toys
that were articulated to the point that you could move them to the same degree
that they move in their artwork and cartoons were the 4" GI Joe figures.  Many,
many action figures move at the head, waist, arms, and legs, and that's
it.  Okay, fine, so maybe Lego should've set a built Toa on a table, taken a
picture, and used that for all box and promo art.  Wow, how boring.  Instead,
Lego used the CGI models that they made for the little movies, and oh my
goodness, the CGI models have more joints than the real things!  I guess they
though it would look silly in the movies if the Toa moved around all
stiff-legged.  Seriously, complaints like this take all the fun out of it.
These are only supposed to be toys, for pete's sake.