 Technic / Bionicle / 901
Re: LEGO cheat on LEWA graphic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 18:09:51 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Jack Gregory writes:
My 11-year-old son noticed something in the A4 sheet which accompanied the
Bionicle Lewa (the Green one).  The sheet has the designation 4130831.

The side of the sheet I am refering to is the one with the large full-page
image.  The right knee is bent in a position that 1) is not possible for the
part provided, and 2) is a configuration not made by LEGO.  While some may
consider this a minor "artistic license" sort of thing, I consider nothing
other than false advertising.  The image is computer-generated, but a great
deal of effort has been made to render every part realistically.

Why would they go to the trouble of doing that, then bending the knee?  To
make the character more animated than it is.  You can imagine the awkward
pose this would have if the knee were straightened to the proper angle.

I have not analyzed any of other images for similar cheats.  But this
clearly is a cheat.  I would love to have positionable knees like LEGO feels
it needs to present its toys.  But they should never make an image of their
products which is just plain false.

--Jack Gregory

Caveat emptor, man. But a more prominent actual photo on the package _would_
be most welcome.

However, I think you're overstating the case rather a lot. The earlier
thread about Onua's color had more merit as a complaint (but eesh! that
abusive spelling! There has been lots of (constructive) comments on how to
give the Bionicles a rotatable head.

(Take a gander at some of the 'Barbie' artwork that's out there. It makes
her look like a happy, self-actualized person when we all know that she's
torn apart by self-doubt and anxiety. She's a time-bomb, that one.)

But again, let the buyer beware. Do we really want to live in a world where
Superman capes have warning labels that say "cape does not enable user to fly"?