 Dear LEGO / 3167
Re: 1200 pc tubs in odd colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 15:41:29 GMT

"James Brown" <galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote in message
news:GE9BvD.CqC@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.dear-lego, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

Thumbs down from me for this idea I am afraid.

The current bulk packs don't have 1x1's, 1x3's, 2x3's in any color; they
don't have 2x2's, 2x6's in every color.  But that's beside the point.

I think Tim was suggesting a retail solution, that people who aren't aware
of or don't use S@H would see on the shelf.

S@H isn't LEGO's primary market, and Tim was suggesting (and I agree!) that
1200 pc tubs in drab colors would sell very well off the shelf.

The other issue is price per piece.  Currently, 1200pc tubs sell for 20.00, or
at $.016/piece.  You can't beat that price (well, you can, if they're on sale).

In bulk, here are the prices per piece:

2x2 - .07
2x4 - .14
2x8 - .36
1x4 - .12
1x6 - .14
1x8 - .24

Clearly you see where the better deal is.  I'd rather pay less per piece and get
more bricks, and have to sort them out to get what I want, than pay for
pre-sorted bricks at an outrageous price.

Why is it that they can assemble the _same_ bricks, put them in a blue tub, and
ship them to stores at SUPER CHEAP PRICES, and charge more for the same plastic
pieces in another product?  I want those colors at 1200pc tub prices.

One explanation I heard about bulk was from a model designer at LEGOLAND I
know - he told me that policy is that bulk can't compete with retail, and that's
why prices are so high.  Somewhat understandable, but still silly to me.  Bulk
bricks right now consist of just bricks - how many sets these days can you get
loads of bricks in?  <sarcasm>Oh wait....those sets usually have 'bricks' like
the infamous 2x2x3, my bad.  I know kids can't stack 3 bricks on top of each
other.</sarcasm>  Bricks at low prices won't outsell specialty elements which
you can only get on the shelves.  But, for people who want larger projects,
cheap bricks would be a real Godsend.  Look at those outrageous prices above,
compare to the 1200pc tub price, and tell me nothing's wrong here.

They're the same bricks, from the same factory (I think), and the bulk even have
simpler packaging!!  Why do they cost so much more?

This is my reason for wanting a 1200pc tub drab colors solution.

xpost - lego.direct

-Tim