 Dear LEGO / 2401
Re: Will Lego Learn a lesson?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 06:57:29 GMT

Actually, from a marketing standpoint, it's a great move.  If Lego fans see
something they like, they know they can't wait until they can afford it (which
might take months for the 8-12 crowd) because more than likely it will be
gone.  A short product cycle increases both the urgency of buying new products
right away, and the frequency of introducing new products which urgently have
to be bought.
I agree on some of your points.  I think you could still cycle differnt themes
such as 1st year pirates 2nd year ninja 3rd year wild west for an example.
This would keep things fresh and at the same time keep introducing sets to
established themes.  I don't think kids buy lego themes from any urgency other
than the fact that they want it now.  I just don't think that you have to kill
off themes.  If that was the case star wars toys should be sitting on the
shelves because they have been on the market for to long.
Secondly, there's only a limited number of themes that the market will
support, and so it's impossible to bring in new themes without killing old
ones.  Lego generates a lot more consumer excitement when it offers a new
theme than when it continues an old one, and so it's in their best interest to
maintain a quick theme rotation.
This brings me back to my rotating theme idea.  That way every three or so
years you go back to a theme and it refreshes the theme.  They could always
make small sets for each theme year after year.

David
http://moiraine24.homestead.com/