 Dear LEGO / 214
Re: TLG investigation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 21:23:18 GMT

John Battcock wrote:

Remembering of course who is taking part in this discussion, It has been
estimated at various times (please don't make me look through DejaNews to
find the posts) that the entire RTL community represents less than 1% of
worldwide sales. A bulk service should not affect set sales adversely.

NOTE, however, that if TLG sold more parts packs, or sold in bulk, our total
dollar purchases *DIRECTLY TO TLG, rather than third parties* would increase an
enormous amount.  AFOL purchases would become a larger percentage of total
sales.

I'd be interested to see how many RTLer/LUGnetters have purchased black roof
brick packs, and how many each person has bought (anyone want to handle taking
a survey?  Post the total # of buyers, and total # of packs, with no names
attached).  I'll bet we are a MAJORITY of the sales of this pack.  I myself
have only purchased 6 packs *so far*, but have wrangled a trade where another
LUGnetter bought 11 packs and shipped them to me.  I don't count myself as a
huge parts buyer at all (I trade a LOT), but I've already "bought" 17 packs,
and I know for a fact that there are certain people here that would have no
problem buying 50-100 of this pack in one order, and still not satisfy their
needs.  The average kid ordering from S@H would probably buy 1 or 2 at most at
one time.

(TODD - would it be possible to build a survey on lugnet, so that people just
hit a page, typed in the # of black roof packs they have bought to date, and it
adds it to a small db?  Then each time someone orders more, they can visit the
page and type in the latest # ordered, and the db would update their total.  db
output would only be the # of individual purchasers, and total packs ordered to
date, to keep it anonymous.  The page would only take input from registered
LUGnet users, to hopefully keep the numbers honest.  This could be later
expanded to cover any new parts packs released.  Heck, it might be a good idea
to include green brick packs in this.)

So the more parts packs they release, the larger our percentage of total sales
would be.  Open up a Bulk Center, and our percentage would go up even more.

I wouldn't doubt that we would quickly hit over 1% (who knows, maybe 2%) of
WORLDWIDE sales if better parts packs and Bulk Sales were implemented, and you
can't ignore 1%, that is more than the profit margins of many companies.  Bring
out better sets (along the lines of Model Team and Star Wars), and our
purchases *DIRECT TO TLG, rather than 3rd party* would increase again.

Note also that a high mark-up would allow for a niche market of private
piece auctions where people would still be able to get one or a couple of
widgets. While I have never auctioned parts myself I guess I would be
curious as to how the parts from any given set add up in terms of winning
bids.

High markup may hurt TLG though.  They need to balance the price so that the
maximum # of people make purchases.  I'd buy 1x4 tiles in all colors at $.10-15
each, and buy 100 of every color, minimum.  Raise that to $.25 or higher, and I
may buy NONE, or just buy black, rather than all colors.

And speaking of tiles, BOY, I sure would like to see 1x3, 2x3, and 2x4 tiles!

I would also love to see brick packs in 1x only - I have little need for 2x
bricks, and can't justify buying brick packs for the 1x bricks, even if I COULD
auction off all the 2x bricks.  I can't afford the money up front for the # of
1x bricks I'd want, hoping I could sell off all the 2x bricks.

--
| Tom Stangl, Technical Support          Netscape Communications Corp |
|      Please do not associate my personal views with my employer     |