 Dear LEGO / 1932
Re: Lego Direct (was Re: Georgia LEGO Outlet is Cool!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 23:39:09 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

A couple of thoughts here:

1. I have no side in this argument. I understand the business practices of the
manager. I disagree with them. As I said, I wouldn't be able to convince you
if I was God, anyway. Therefore I will let you have the false sense of
security that your opinions (or anyone else's here for that matter) are the
only true valid ones. My aren't necessarily valid either, since they are just
that opinions. With that said, I cannot change anyone's opinion here....even
if I flooded this board with my opinions til I am blue in the face. You cannot
change beliefs. It doesn't happen, especially when money or something valued
is on the line.

2. Capitalism is not fair and equal access to goods, markets, and services.
However, the US economy (in which we are dealing) is not true Capitalism by
any means. That said just because TRU gets wholesale prices and I don't is
fair. Why? Because I am lazy and don't get a wholesale license...start up a
toy business. Now if TRU was the only one given access to these prices or
particular sets due to a under handed agreement (between relatives, friends or
so such nonsense) then many retailers would be calling foul play. Especially
if TRU did this on multi toy basis. Microsoft anyone? Furthermore, this gets
away from the point. If I have a brother who works at a biolab and he tells me
two hours before the official press conference that his company has the cure
for aids. If I act on it, buy stock, and get rich from it. I would be in
trouble. The same thing applies here. Insider information happens but is
illegal and wrong. It doesnt allow everyone the same business oppurtunities.
In the case of the LEGO in question, the manager calls Larry and says he can
give him upfront information on the whereabouts of sets that have been
unavailable (Not necessarily rare), he acts on it. Illegal? No. However, it
excludes anyone else's ability to access the market. And market access is what
our economy is about. It allows anyone, regardless of financial standing,
access. It rewards big finance with bigger rewards, but never limits access -
out of fairness.

Again, I have no side in this argument. The reason being is no one is
objective at all in this case. Haves want it to continue. Have-nots want it to
stop. I am suggesting that in this one case...the underhanded dealings are
wrong. I have no problem with whoever buying 40 of available sets or even 40
of an unvailable set...if and only if the information is in the hand of the
public. Reward that person for being an early bird..definitely. Reward for big
purchases...maybe (yes, if you are the manager and want quick disposal of
inventory), but only if the information is available. Which is not
broadcasting it to the far corners of the globe. But it is telling more than
one or two elite people. This is wrong no matter how you slice it.

Craig Livingston