 Dear LEGO / 1896
1895  |  1897
Subject:
Lego Direct (was Re: Georgia LEGO Outlet is Cool!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 23:15:23 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I don't begrudge anyone finding a good deal.  But it would bother me to think
that some few of us are favored by TLC because of their purchasing power.
This is why I have and will continue to favor a Lego Direct arrangement in
which TLC, or perhaps a very specific and singular business partner, is the
ONLY entity to have direct interactions with the public.

In lugnet.dear-lego, Mike Stanley writes:
I don't know.  I'm not a businessman or an economist, but I'd say if
you have a chance to move a product _right now_ you should take it.

I think the problem is neither with our somewhat overly self-satisfied, deep-
pockets set or necessarily with the outlet store (presuming its not actually
TLC owned -- which I don't know).  The problem is with TLC.  If there is a
small cache of older sets that could be made available to the public, it
should be made available in an even manner, and not in a manner which
satisfies only the needs of deep-pockets people.  I think of it as bad public
relations in the extreme!

Would everyone find it "merely" amusing to know that some one person was
offered 100 MISB SES (or another very desirable set of your choice) sets for
50% off original retail from an outlet shop and that s/he was the only person
called?  Or that s/he was one of five people called?  I would want access to
that deal too and not have to pay someone else's eBay redistribution auction
price of $250 USD.

The point is: that's not how this kind of situation should be handled.  Lego
Direct (a much rumored about "future" TLC venture) should handle these
overstock matters by making rarer items available to everyone at the same time
by either printed catalogue or website listing; and then perhaps even control
distribution to the most people by limiting sales to one to a household.
Something like that sounds fairer to me.

I understand that wealthy people have greater disposable income than others,
but its obnoxious to me to think that they are so pointedly favored by TLC by
their current manner of unloading older sets.  Isn't it enough that the
wealthy could so easily afford to just pay the eBay prices instead?  I am not
suggesting penalizing the wealthy either, though.  I just fail to understand
the absence of fair access to the same goods, regardless of one's standing as
pertains to personal wealth.  Everyone should be receiving the same fair and
timely notice of the sets currently available!

Does TLC own the outlet shops itself, or are they privately owned shops?  It
certainly makes a difference to me to discover this fact.

-- Richard