 Dear LEGO / 1895
Re: Georgia LEGO Outlet is Cool!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 19:37:41 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000 19:12:27 GMT, "Ben Roller"
<broller@mail.clemson.edu> wrote:

In lugnet.dear-lego, Mike Stanley writes:
Seems like a win-win situation to me.  The store's job is to move
product - they moved it with minimal effort.

I would agree if the Lego Outlet store was out in the middle of a field
somewhere.  On some level though I think that they are not playing well with
their community.  It's great for the people that get called.  It's great for
Lego.  It's aweful for the Outlet Mall where the Lego store lives.  Part of the
reason you build a mall like that is so that when Bob goes to the Lego Outlet
that he stops off at the Gap Outlet on the way.  Now fewer people go to the
Lego Outlet, therefore fewer will go to the other stores in the mall.  The
community of stores around the Lego Outlet are getting hurt by this.

I really do see what you're saying I guess it just doesn't ring
through for me.  I'm very much a non-shopping person.  I know the
KBToyWorks is in some sort of thing you would probably call an outlet
mall.  I've been there several times.  I have also been to the
RackRoom shoestore right next to it.  Never once have I gone to both
places at the same time, which could mean I never need shoes when I
want Lego but it mainly means I like to take care of business and go
away.  If I could get sets from those two stores delivered to me I'd
never go to that place again and, to be honest, I have no idea what
other stores are there.

We have a big outlet mall in Pigeon Forge near here.  I go there for 3
things - Rockport shoes (Rockport outlet), Lego stuff (KB outlet), and
stuff from the London Fog store.  I've been dragged into other stores
there but I've never bought anything.

So yeah, I see what you're saying - a little.  But considering they
probably only sold a fraction of what they have over the phone to
those people (remember Tom didn't buy anything and there were still
plenty of sets listed there) I doubt it will have much impact.  In
fact, if they hadn't sold all the 6078's to Frank, they would have
sold them to me if I'd found out in time.

Now I'm all for them calling people when the product has been on the shelf for
a long time (be it a month, week, or whenever they're getting ready to get new
stuff).  That's good business when you have limited space.  Keeping the older
products and getting rid of the brand new stuff seems backwards to me.

I don't know.  I'm not a businessman or an economist, but I'd say if
you have a chance to move a product _right now_ you should take it.
If they hadn't called maybe someone would have walked in three days
(or a month) later and bought them all, probably in piecemeal, maybe
not.  As it stands, the sets they did sell are definitely sold - no
guesswork or hoping.  If I were running the store I'd be happy.  And
maybe they'll get to order more stuff now that some of the new stuff
is gone.

--
Tired of waiting for LEGO Direct? Bulk Parts Sales NOW!
http://www.guarded-inn.com/lego/sales/parts.html