 Dear LEGO / 1734
Re: an update -- and an apology
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 12:30:48 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Todd Lehman writes:
What TLC should be doing, IMHO, is setting up an ordering system on the web
NOW and taking pre-orders for actual elements (ALL elements) with the
understanding with the buyer that most orders won't be able to be filled for
quite some time.  That's a much, much, much better way to gauge demand for
particular parts than simply to ask people.  That's why I don't expect TLC
to ask us directly what we'd like to see.

A sad but accurate comment, Todd.  Even without taking actual orders, they
should be collecting the information for themselves.  Frankly, just asking us
to repeat here for the Nth time all that has already been stated time and
again about what parts we want made available in bulk seems particularly
pointless.  And again, it seems mostly geared to giving us a way to let off
steam rather than creating an intelligent manner for TLC to collect the
information it supposedly wants access to.

TLC won't know what the "right" things are to sell to us until several weeks
after they've begun to sell it.  And the "right" things aren't necessarily
what we want to buy.  The "right" things are the things which are most
profitable for TLC.  Let's remember that they're a business.  :)

This from the guy who posted The Cluetrain Manifesto here on Lugnet?

But I have to disagree, the "right" things are what we want to buy, not what
they want to sell.  As an example, I am going to assume that the Adventurers
Zeppelin set didn't sell particularly well -- if it had Wal-Mart would not be
discounting it up to 75% as has been reported by others on Lugnet.  They can
make it and promote it, but if its junk why should we buy it?  I read your
comments on the new castle archway for a portcullis -- are you prepared to buy
this part in bulk?

For some reason I just now started thinking of an old Cheech and Chong routine
about "sh*t." You know, the one where if it looks like it, smells like it, and
tastes like it -- you'd best walk around it. Basically, I think this says it
all about bulk ordering parts we don't want to buy.

-- Richard