 Dear LEGO / 1731
Re: an update -- and an apology
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 05:22:19 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, John Neal writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
What exactly is "definitely happening"?

An event which *will* occur.

Oh no, that's not what I meant.  I meant

   _What_ exactly is "definitely happening"?

not

   What exactly is _"definitely happening"_?

The answer is:  We have no _clear_ idea _what_ will be happening.  We have
only a _vague_ promise.  (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

My point is that, whatever they will be offering, they *will* be offering
it.  I don't think that they would go to the trouble of saying something
will happen only to disappoint later on.

I don't think so either.  However, w.r.t. bulk purchases, let's not fool
ourselves into believing that TLC has actually said _what_ will happen.
They've only said that _something_ (hand-waving) will happen.  We can only
guess how quickly it will arrive and how quickly it will mature (those are
two separate issues).  And again, I don't mean to suggest that there's
anything wrong with vague hand-waving.

They could have just one day said "Hey, by the way, you can order bulk
bricks now" without any forewarning.  But they didn't, because they want
our input as to what kinds of pieces we'd like out first.

If TLC actually cares to hear what pieces we think we'd like out first, I'd
be very surprised -- as well as a bit disappointed.

I'm sure Larry could explain better than I, but what customers say in polls
about what they would be willing to buy or pay are not good indicators of
what they actually will buy or pay in practice.

What TLC should be doing, IMHO, is setting up an ordering system on the web
NOW and taking pre-orders for actual elements (ALL elements) with the
understanding with the buyer that most orders won't be able to be filled for
quite some time.  That's a much, much, much better way to gauge demand for
particular parts than simply to ask people.  That's why I don't expect TLC
to ask us directly what we'd like to see.

Well, if believing as I do makes me a hopeless Optimist, then I apologize
to Tony.  I got the feeling that things were a lot firmer than you & Tony
apparently do and so thought the obligatory skepticism  he expressed was
unwarranted.

I'm an optimist about this too.  I'm very exited about its potential.  I just
wanted to point out that everything is still extremely vague, and is likely
to remain so for some time.

TLC won't know what the "right" things are to sell to us until several weeks
after they've begun to sell it.  And the "right" things aren't necessarily
what we want to buy.  The "right" things are the things which are most
profitable for TLC.  Let's remember that they're a business.  :)

--Todd