 Dear LEGO / 153
Re: "Bright Side?"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 02:50:14 GMT

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999 00:35:45 GMT, mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller)
wrote:

John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote:
a cartoon bubble) "You asked for new colors- check out NEW green
bricks...black roof tiles...plus, white and black plates!"  Could it be

I dunno. There's a lot of other things they sure haven't listened to. "You
asked for..." is probably just marketing-speak.

Partly.  I wouldn't expect them to do something customers have
requested, unless they expect to see some positive benefit.  Either more
profit directly, or indirectly from benefitting sales in other ways.

BUT, I don't think they just said "Hey! We need some verbiage here.
Let's say they asked for it!"  I'm sure there have been a lot of
requests for a greater variety of parts paks.  But it's entirely
possible TLG was going to do this anyway, and some marketer thought they
might as well get as much mileage out of it as possible, so they wanted
to point out that they're doing something people have asked for.

BUT, maybe somebody (Tom's "product champion") said, "hey, there are a
lot of people asking for more of these.  These packs don't exactly sell
like hotcakes, but they are good PR with some of our best customers.  If
there were more available, maybe that would also interest more people in
them, and increase demand." And they put together some low-cost way of
dealing with the packs, and voila!

Or maybe they just made way too many of these parts, and are trying to
recover some costs.

Steve