 Dear LEGO / 1425
Re: Idea for Bulk Ordering ANY current Lego piece
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 17:04:28 GMT

James Gowell <jgowell@umich.edu> wrote in message
Why not even borrow from some of the large piece auctions that allow you • to
combine multiple winning bids into a shipment.  Release the production • schedule
for 3 months and require all bulk orders come in at once.  This allows TLC • to
have the info needed to adjust runs, etc.

For that matter, why doesn't TLC just do the survey we all want to fill • out, or
some AFOL theme-representatives, increase all production lines by the
percentages suggested by those mechanisms. If the estimates turn out high,
then "extras" could be remaindered into special hodge podge buckets, ala • the
jumbalya activity going on in Lugnet.  HodgePdges might go well as gifts, • as
prizes.  Plus, what an awesome family-focused item -- a 'set" that  YOU • ARE
MEANT TO SHARE!

And, look at what the collectable card games are able to do -- nobody • knows
what is inside the wrapper and people will pay lots of money for the • cards!

Jim Gowell

Interesting "grab bag" idea.  What I was getting at, though, was how to
eliminate the financial risk that TLC would take in a bulk ordering system.

Bulk ordering could be done several different ways.  (1) TLC could
manufacture a bunch of parts, make them available for sale, and then hope
that people will buy the parts they have already made.  Or (2) TLC could
allow people to tell them what they want prior to manufacturing anything,
thereby providing TLC with hard numbers for each production run of each
piece; accomplished by requiring orders AND payment prior to the
manufacturing of the pieces.  In other words, they would already have made
the sale prior to manufacturing the product.

Unless I'm missing something, that sounds like a pretty attractive position
for TLC (and a position in which any manufacturer would love to be).  I see
this as a win-win situation: TLC gets guaranteed sales prior to making a
part (and thereby eliminating the financial risk of not knowing what people
will actually purchase in bulk) and AFOLs get the ability to bulk order ANY
PIECE currently in production.

Tim