 Database / Set Inventories / 866
Re: Easiest way to get an inventory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 12:12:16 GMT

In lugnet.db.inv, David Arnon writes:
Hi,
I've received a MISB <set:8865> and I noticed it didn't have a piece count on
LUGNET's set reference.
I thought about counting the # of pieces, and then I thought that (if it's not
too much extra effort) I might as well get a complete inventory.
So, what's the fastest way to write an inventory in the correct format?
I have access to a computer running win95 (+excel) and to one running linux
(I'd prefer working with linux if there's a reasonable way).

Thanks, David

For sets with a high percentage of normal-type pieces, I use ML-CAD - if
there are instructions I'll build it, approximating position to save time,
or for freestyle and the like, just a grid of pieces with multiples stacked.
I have a horror of getting the LDraw number wrong, which would ruin the
whole thing, and I'll be darned if I'm going to type out "Door  1 x  4 x  8
with 1/4 Circle Top" when I have to put in the part number anyway.  Anything
that needs changing once ML-CAD makes the partlist (printing etc.), I make
pink or some other obviously wrong colour so I'll remember it.  ML-CAD
doesn't output the columns in Peeron order, but that's a simple matter to
fix in Excel.

That said, the spreadsheets look great!  I'd probaby use it by copying the
part name from parts.xls and letting the part number fill itself in,
although those who can remember the exact part name can go right ahead and
type it :-).  A type-down sort of thing (press 'D', list appears, go to the
first D item, press 'o', go to the first item starting with Do, etc.) would
be even easier to use, although I don't think Excel can do that.

The easier it is do an inventory, the more inventories will actually get done!

Cheers, Heather
--
Heather Patey
Pirate Wench / Brick Detective