 Database / Set Inventories / 865
Re: Easiest way to get an inventory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 05:45:46 GMT

In lugnet.db.inv, Dan Boger writes:
On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 12:00:21AM +0000, Samuel Christiansen wrote:
You know, I've been doing these for months in plain text using Notepad.  I
wish I'd had enough brains to ask if there were an easier way.  :)

heh, we kept meaning to put up a howto page, but somehow, never got to
it...

Yeah, I have been doing them manually, too.  A ton of parts lookups in
partsref, let me tell you...

I like databases since I can work with the keyboard and forget the mouse so I
create inventories as a database (.dbf) and then save again as tab-deliminated
files.  Plus, don't forget to sort your records first by description then by
color before sending to Dan.

Dan recently sent me the Excel sheets and I hope to get them running with
Quattro Pro (don't have Excel).  I can get used to spreadsheet if I have too,
but it is far less efficient for moving around in and also requires much mouse
usage as compared with any database program (I still use Dos-based dBase 4 a
lot since I prefer a Black screen over White).
In any case, Dan's Excel sheets should cut down on the time it takes to create
inventories....period.  Excellent reason for using them--so we can get back to
more important stuff like building....

__Kevin Salm__