 Database / Set Inventories / 1330
Re: Parts Catalog 0.0.12
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 01:40:37 GMT

In lugnet.db.inv, Bob Kojima writes:
Version 0.0.12  02-25-02

well, I tried it for the first time the other day, and here are my comments:

searching:
  - When there's an exact match for a search, it should be the first highlight
before showing partial matches.  Eg "brick 1 x 2" shouldn't match "hinge brick
1 x 2"...  at least not on the first hit.
  - this is even worse for part numbers - "3033" should match _only_ 3033, and
not 30330, 30331, etc.  Perhaps allow repeated searches find patterned versions
of the same part?  so that it'll find also "3033px1", "3033p45", etc.
  - how about ignoring extra spaces?  "brick 1 x  2" should behave as if it was
"brick 1 x 2".
  - look in the keywords for parts as well - so that "star wars" will match
"Bar 4L Light Sabre Blade".
  - one thing that would be cool - "Interactive searching".  It's done in a
bunch of unix programs, when you type, it shows you the matches, as you type...
so that it will update the cursor position after each letter you type... that
way, you can type "slope brick 45 2 x 2 i" and see that it highlights the
"inverted"...  don't need to type anymore :)

editing and deleting parts:
  - did I miss a way to edit the part number of a part?  If I entered "brick 1
x 10" instead of "brick 1 x 1", can I correct it without deleteing and
re-adding the part?
  - when typing the color of a part, make it ignore the case... so that
"dkgray" will still show the "DkGray" color, and will enter it in the inventory
with the correct case.
  - allow selection of multiple lines, so you can delete multiple parts at the
same time.
  - when combining lines (say I'm entering a second row of "Gray brick 1 x 2",
give some sort of message?  so that the user will know that it has been
combined.  Better though to do it without a dialog box (which requires another
keystroke)...  Perhaps just move the combined line to the bottom of the list,
so you can see it?
  - also, after it combines a line, the selected part becomes the one from the
line BEFORE...  it makes it very confusing, since you expect the next piece to
be added to be the same, reguardless if the line was combined or not.
  - make "Alt-A" a hotkey for "Add line" and "Alt-D" hotkey for "Delete"?
trying to make it mouse free... and hopefully avoiding repeated "Tab"s in the
main window... :)

general:
  - when updateing master.txt, you should give the user some sort of feedback -
on a slow link, it could take quite a while.
  - also, when updateing, you should have some sort of sanity check before
overwriting the saved copy - since peeron sometimes (dunno how!) has bugs :)
Maybe keep a copy of the old master.txt, so the user can revert?
  - when overwriting a file, you should always ask for confirmation.
  - you should update the readme.txt, pointing people to the thumbnails zip
file on peeron :)

Thanks for all you work on this, Bob - I really think it's a great program to
have, and already have recieved quite a few inventories made with it!  Sorry if
I seem like all I do is complain, I really like it!

Looking forward to future versions! :)

Dan