 Color / 849
Re: Open letter to the CEO of the LEGO Company / Call for your signs! (no discussions here please)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:53:46 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.color, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
Disagree - because I can NOT pretend to know how to run a multi-billion(?)
dollar company that has existed longer than I have.

So, out of curiosity:
1) Knowing just what you know, would you have made the color change?
2) Would you change the colors back?

Personally:

1) No. I wouldn't have. There would have to be some pretty big undisclosed
reasons for me to vote yes. New colors would have to be significantly cheaper to
produce, or old colors would have to have suddenly gotten more expensive. Or old
colors would have had to have been shown to be toxic or bad environmentally.
Changing colors costs money and time. In order to change, there has to be either
be a way for the new colors to save or make more money, and/or really good
reasons that fit with company values that offset the cost.

2) Maybe. I'd have to see a cost/benefit analysis. Without one? I'd guess no.
How much has been spent on new pellets? How long will it take to burn through
the existing stock? How much does it cost to get old colors back? How much to
re-stock the current factories? Does packaging need to change to reflect color
scheme? How much more will AFOL's really spend if old colors return? My guess is
the costs outweigh the benefits. But I'd be happy to tell the Lego company that
I'd RATHER they go back to old colors if it's cost-effective for them to do so.

Lego fans seem to disagree about:
- Should they switch back to the old colors?
- Are the new colors any better than the old ones?
- Did they tell us the truth about why they changed them?
- Are we losing sleep/passion for the hobby over this?
- Will we sort the new colors seperately from the old colors?
- Will we buy any 2004+ sets?

But the ONE thing that EVERYONE seems to agree with is that the color change was
a BAD idea. I don't think I've talked to a single person that thinks the color
change was a good decision. Some people don't mind it, and they think that now
that it's happened, it's not the end of the world or anything, but they still
seem to agree that in a perfect world, the colors wouldn't have changed. I
myself love the new brown and light-gray (dark grey not so much), but I still
don't think they should've changed them.

DaveE