 Color / 828
Re: Open letter to the CEO of the LEGO Company / Call for your signs! (no discussions here please)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 06:42:22 GMT

In lugnet.general, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:
Dear Mr. Knudstorp,

Hm. I would agree to this letter if it were of a largely different tone. Lots of
stuff I disagree with or would drastically change in wording:

We, the signatories of this letter, form the group of Adult Fans Of LEGO®

Until recently, we have been the biggest fans of your products.

Through the change of the colours we find ourselves extremely restricted

quite badly thought-out decision.

but unfortunately these praiseworthy achievements turn into almost nothing

Even the most beautiful set ... is completely useless for us

We find that the time is right to stop the production of the new colours

By the discontinuation of the new unloved colours, resources would be set
free.

"new colours are too similar to the ones of cheap competitors (Megabloks)"

"old colours appear yellowish beside the new (bluish) colours - this makes
them look worn"

"contradictory communication about the purpose of the changeover"

"rejection of the new grey because it appears to look military-like"

If you're looking for more support, I'd suggest re-wording the letter much less
harshly. People who are adamantly against the color change will sign it anyway,
but those like me who thought it a bad decision, but aren't losing sleep over it
might go either way. To get the fence-sitters' or Lego sympathizers' vote
(assuming you want it), I'd tone it down a bit.

Plus, I'd probably solicit for email replies, or signup via a webpage. Having
people post to Lugnet:
1) reduces your audience, since many lurkers might not even have posting setups
2) creates lots of relatively useless noise in these groups
3) gives a less impressive-looking turnout (you could instead solicit on
multiple sites and have them all point to the same place more easily)
4) makes for lots of revisions. Putting a "current version" on a single site
allows an easy way for people to find the up-to-date copy, and makes for less
legwork for organizers (and signers).

I would instead encourage discussion on Lugnet and actual signup off-site.

DaveE