 Color / 775
Re: Possible red change?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 07:41:22 GMT

"Ray Sanders" <rsanders@svic.net> wrote in message
news:I9tyLC.tv@lugnet.com...
Exactly..  as far back as 1999, when I was sorting bricks from 3033's and
2494's
I noted that some yellow basic bricks has a very subtle red tinge, where
others
did not. I just figured that this was an odd red pellet that sneaked into
the
yellow pellet bin (not sure how exactly these would mix tho).

If a red pellet accidentally fell into a bunch of yellow pellets the
resulting output would be a very thin streak of red suddenly getting
injection-molded into the yellow parts.  The injection molding machines
don't mix different colors, not too long ago, LEGO was less careful when
changing colors on an injection machine and the result was a candy striped
effect on the parts injection molded.

The other thing is I have no idea why a red pellet would fall into yellow
pellets unless someone was extremely careless when packaging the pellets
during shipment from the pellet-making factory.  All LEGO colors used in
major production are fed from very large silos consisting entirely of a
single color.  Smaller batches for rare-colored parts may be hand fed from a
bag or small hopper.

What concerns me a bit more is that, as noted above and 8 months back,
there is
a mention of 'tweaking' of some colors. This would be an explicit tweak
rather
than a simple batch color variation (e.g. when you buy skeins of yarn,
they are
coded with a dye lot number so that you can get matched skeins). I wonder
which
colors were tweaked and to what degree ? Depending on the level of
difference
this could cause no end of problems for sellers on bricklink should they
mix pre
and post tweaked parts of the (assumed to be) same color.

This is interesting, I've noticed some of my older yellow colors have
acquired a very light greenish tinge, while others have not.  I haven't had
any complaints though from buyers who've bought yellow, not that I've had
many buyers.  Colors do tend to fade over the years, and I have also noticed
a different quality of shine on some different parts of the same color,
although I'm pretty sure they've been molded from the same colors.

If TLG have been changing the color, it's presumably to make it more
compatible with the new "bley" not that I care much.  I would be a lot
happier if they went back to the old grey as it doesn't look like a huge
glaring mistake on TLG's part and I wouldn't have to wait for my eyes to
start picking up on the bley color differences.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde