 Color / 774
Re: Possible red change?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 06:12:48 GMT

In lugnet.color, Erik Olson wrote:
In lugnet.color, Tobias Möller wrote:

Could this be another, permanent, change, or did I get bricks from a "bad"
batch? Has anyone else noticed a change in the red colour?

I keep saying: this has been going on for years. There have been many slight
variations in basic colors. I first noticed variations in yellow in the same tub
in 1998. I have three shades of yellow, two shades of blue, and at least two
shades of white out of brand new tubs from that year, purchased in different
places.

Since colors fade quickly, all the bricks I buy now don't match my 5 years old
white and yellow. And I don't expect them too. There are thousands of plastic
colorant technologies to choose from, many of them just introduced to the
market.

-Erik

Exactly..  as far back as 1999, when I was sorting bricks from 3033's and 2494's
I noted that some yellow basic bricks has a very subtle red tinge, where others
did not. I just figured that this was an odd red pellet that sneaked into the
yellow pellet bin (not sure how exactly these would mix tho).

What concerns me a bit more is that, as noted above and 8 months back, there is
a mention of 'tweaking' of some colors. This would be an explicit tweak rather
than a simple batch color variation (e.g. when you buy skeins of yarn, they are
coded with a dye lot number so that you can get matched skeins). I wonder which
colors were tweaked and to what degree ? Depending on the level of difference
this could cause no end of problems for sellers on bricklink should they mix pre
and post tweaked parts of the (assumed to be) same color.

Ray