 Color / 436
Re: Fed UP!!!!!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:22:48 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.general, Marc Nelson, Jr. wrote:

Thanks for setting followups appropriately.

   What’s bothering me are the repeated demands for silence from those who disagree and continue to be unhappy with the color change. To those who are happy with the color change:
  • Is it that offensive to hear opinions that don’t conform to your own?

No, if posted in appropriate groups, and if they are constructive opinions, some people are just rattling of the same line again and again. To those, we heard you the first time,

  • Aren’t there any options other than forming a consensus (in favor of the change) or keeping silent? Can’t we continue to express contrary opinions?

Yes, again, in the appropriate groups.

  • Why is unhappiness with the color change issue construed as a personal attack on Jake McKee? I have no beef with Jake - he didn’t decide to change the colors. Let me add my own big thanks to Jake for all that he does. But it’s his job to communicate between TLC and AFOLs, so he’s the guy I express my opinions (positive and negative) to. What’s wrong with that?

Some folks have made comments that could be construed as attacks. Most have not.

  • Why SHOULD we give up? AFOLs complained for years about (for example) the lack of bulk bricks - and now we have bulk discounts and Pick-a-Brick. I don’t think it was a coincidence.

We should not give up, but we should try and make our complaints constructive. By all means, anytime you have an opportunity to raise the issue in a survey, do so. By all means, express your opinion when it is constructive to do so. A daily post of “I hate the new colors wah wah wah” is not constructive.

Cloggging up groups other than lugnet.color or lugnet.lego with complaints about the colors is usually innapropriate (a gentle, “gee this new set is a really nice design, but the new grey makes it look terrible” may be appropriate - it’s a specific complaint about a new set, not just a rehash of a previous complaint - even though it may be the tenth similar complaint made).

The key is balance. You want your message not only to be heard, but to be listened to.

Frank