 Color / 41
Re: New newsgroup lugnet.color
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.color
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 11:42:43 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, William R. Ward wrote:

   Hopefully this move will take the steam out of all the color-change complainers and let us get back to our hobby.

I’m not sure I agree with that phrasing. No one is trying to take the steam out, per se, people should be free to express themselves if they can do so politely and positively. What *is* desired is that the steam be channeled and regulated so it does useful work instead of just shrilly escaping and clouding the view of everyone else, or building up and causing an explosion. (if you’ll forgive me stretching the metaphor)

Jake started a number of important and useful threads to get feedback about what he ought to be pushing for, and they all got derailed, at least in part, by repetitive posts that berated him and the company, expressed opinions we already knew the posters had, and weren’t on topic for the thread.

Arguably a lot of those initial posts by Jake should NOT have even been in .general in the first place, which was part of the problem. Posters, understandably, just hit reply. But people should be willing to give a little thought to where a post belongs, in my view. (no one is perfect in this regard, I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve flubbed by just pressing reply. But I try to accept others pointing out my error or helping steer my posts back to where they belong with some grace (not always, I admit!))

But here’s the important point... In my view repetitive posts that are abusive and don’t add any new information don’t belong anywhere on LUGNET at all. If all someone wants to add to a thread is “the new bley sucks” OR “the new grey is a major improvement” it’s not adding much at this point. No matter where that thread is.

BUT, if they have something to talk about that’s color related and isn’t just a rant we’ve already heard, we now have a group for it so that they don’t have to threadjack.

That’s my view.