 Color / 38
Re: New newsgroup lugnet.color
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.color
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 06:08:36 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Marc Nelson, Jr. wrote:
   Wow. LUGNET sure moves fast, provided the right people are complaining.

I hadn’t even seen that, Mark. I’ve tried to avoid reading the bulk of the thread, since it only depresses me. (I’m a Space guy with tons of real gray and I will miss it. But that’s neither here nor there :)

   This seems like a very unfair move designed to discourage the expression of negative opinions about the color change, for the benefit of a few people who want to ignore those opinions. I can see that when anyone voices any opinion on the color change besides the apparently LUGNET- sanctioned “like it or lump it” stance, the response will be “Go back to your ghetto - FUT to .color”.

Nope, this move isn’t designed to discourage expression at all -- in fact, in 20/20 hindsight, I think it should have been made five months ago. It wouldn’t change any of the opinions expressed.

   This is the sort of thing I would expect from FBTB, but not from LUGNET. I am very disappointed.

I’m concerned that you feel that it unfairly shuffles people off into a corner. It’s not meant that way at all -- and I don’t think it will end up being like that.

Please understand that the decision was made today to create the new group upon realizing that discussion of color issues have reached critical mass. Having a lugnet.color group has been an idea kicked around for several years (starting back roughly when the lugnet.year.xxxx groups were created) -- but there didn’t seem to be any interest in it back then, since it was before the big color boom of 1998-99, and it was a slippery slope from there to here.

--Todd