 Color / 193
Re: Color Change background
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 07:11:02 GMT

In lugnet.color, Jeff Shiner wrote:
If you look carefully at what you are writing you might just see the flaw
in your logic.   1st of all... Lego (through Jake) admitted an error in
implementation... but were clear that they still believe in the colour change.
How are they supposed to correct that error???   They can not undo their
implementation...  and do not believe the colour change to be an error.
So your statement seems to me not to make any sense.

To me, the bad implementation should never have occured in the first place
because of the consequences.  You may be right on this, I still think they are
aware of the terrible decision they took and they are just trying (through Jake)
to explain why rather than correcting it.  If they don't feel they have to
correct the situation, then it's even worse.

Further... you state that "unlike children...".  We can argue that statement,
however if you believe it to be true then Lego really should NOT base any
decisions on our input.  Clearly the revenue from children (or parents buying
for them) is far greater than any influence, direct or indirect, that the
AFOL community has.

Come on, friend, you know that what I was referring to is that AFOLs have higher
criteria of quality than children and if LEGO wants to follow the old
Christiansen motto "Only the best is good eough", then the AFOLs should be more
suited to judge products than children.  I can't say about the themes, but when
it comes to quality and general ideas, AFOLs are a step ahead of children.  Of
course, children have an incredible imaginatiopn which should be stimulated, but
through great products, not through MEGABloks look-alike crappy parts.

I personally believe Lego should (and now will) listen to the AFOL community
but their primary market will not be us and at times that will cause a
conflict in what we want them to do and what they will do.

Although I understand that, I also think that Children want the same thing as
AFOLs do, only they are not as touchy on quality.

My opinion is however, that people should think with their head and not
their hearts on this issue... as hard as that might be.   Otherwise it is
difficult to separate the valid concerns, complaints and suggestions from
the mindless rambling.

I consider this last remark offensive.  However, I also think my opinion is more
than rambling.  In fact, I even think that some of the things Jake said,
although they might make some sense to a major company like LEGO, don't make any
sense.  I truly don't think the color change was necessary.  Whatever reasons
they will give us, it'll still be crap.  The colors were just fine.  If they
wanted to come up with steady colors, they should have kept grays, brown and all
the other comon colors and throw away sand-red and those new colors instead.