Subject:
Why the heck use Real Time?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:49:17 GMT

Why should we use Real Time on the Isle of Mist?

We debated using RT from the very beginning, and finally, after giving it
plenty of thought, we decided that it's the
best thing to use for the Isle of Mist.  Here are some reasons:

1)  The Isle of Mist is discovered unpopulated.  The danger of using RT with
Castle World is that people want to have
full control over their kingdoms, which is perfectly understood.  The IOM on
the other hand is a joined effort with story
guides - kind of facilitators on the Isle.

2)  The IOM is a living creation.  The best thing about the Isle is that
once it gets going, there will always be traffic.
People will always be doing something, and with four story guides working
independently, there will be a lot of surprises
going on.  I won't even know what's happening on 75% of the Isle.  This is
designed to provide the maximum stimulation
and diversity for people.

3)  What if I can't update?  Aha - that just means we can't "Hear from you."
Suppose you are gone for a month and
unable to update.  When the time comes to update, you just let us know what
happened for the past month and WHY
you couldn't update (due to heavy storms, famine, etc - be creative :)  If
major events have occured during that time,
take it into account for the maximum effect.  We'll have histories on all
the individual map pages of the important
events, so it will be easy to cross-reference that.

4)  Major events?  Yeah ... these will be done just to keep the writers
stimulated, but everything on the Isle will still be
as much or as little as you want to make of it.  Just go with the flow ;)
Much more on that later.

Ok ... In this context, I really don't see any downsides to RT.  It gives us
structure, direction, and makes the IOM come
alive.  I really don't see it as limiting either - just the opposite.

We (Chris, myself, and the rest of admin) are very flexible and want to make
this page the most fun for everyone, so
if you have any thought on this, let us know.

-- Pawel