 Castle / Ninja / 296
Re: Lego of the Five Rings Battlescene
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.ninja
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 20:15:19 GMT

In lugnet.castle.ninja, Carl Billen wrote:
After playing around a bit with my samurai and ninja figures, I decide to
make a battlescene set in the "Legend of the 5 Rings" universe.

     I realize this is over 1.5 years gone, but being an L5R fan myself, I
couldn't resist commenting.  I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who's
dabbled in L5R MOC-ness.

Now for those who don't know the universe, here's a small summary:
- The Empire has 7 Great Clans, of which the Scorpion (=the red samurai) and
the Crab (=the blue samurai) are two of them.

     And the Dragon Clan is by far the coolest... ;P

Because I don't have colours to make up samurai of the other clans, I simply >started of with these two.

     Unfortunately, the options are pretty limited for the other factions.  Jedi
would work equally well for unarmored Lion as they do for Monks.  Green Ninja
might be usable for unarmored Dragon Clan and Mantis, though those shuriken
would be a bit out of place (maybe the green Forestmen also?)(The Togashi family
should be fairly easy except for the tattoos).  Red Ninja might work just as
well for Phoenix.  Horde is pretty easy, as you demonstrated (too bad they don't
make Dobby's head in green).  Shadow Ninja could be done by using faceless
minifig heads (or at least flipping them around when using the Ninja hood)
Unicorn is pretty much stuck with Dumbledore and Quirrel.  Crane is pretty much
SOL though, as are Naga and Nezumi (well, mebbe the Werewolf head might work for
a Nezumi).  The "Dragon Emperor" stuff would maybe work for Emerald Magistrates
or somesuch, but the colors are wrong for Dragon Clan, and the dragon decor
pretty much eliminates any other options.  The Adventurers Orient Expedition
doesn't really present anything that would work for non-Scorps either.

I hope you enjoy the pictures!

     I did, but there are a few things that would have made the experience even
more enjoyable (besides inclusion of some Ise Zumi or Mirumoto duelists).
First, as a fan, I obviously would have preferred to see a diorama based on an
actual battle (Beiden Pass or the Day of Thunder would so rock in LEGO), rather
than just some random event...though anything is better than nothing.
Unfortunately, I can't remember any battles that involved just the Crab, Scorps,
and Horde.  Another major element that's missing is Shugenja.  L5R is chock full
of Shugenja, and even though Crab and Scorpion are two Clans that run a bit on
the low side, I have a hard time imagining a battle where they could face off
against each other, complete with Ninja (incidentally, are those basic Scorp
"black pajama" Ninja or full-blown Shadow Ninja?) _and_ the Horde, but not one
Shugie would be there chucking spells.  I'm also a bit uncomfortable with the
presence of not one, not two, but three non-Dragon characters wielding two
swords.  That's nearly 10% of the group, and that's a bit unrealistic, given the
long-standing Rokugani perception that the Kakita technique is better than the
Mirumoto technique.  Also, it'd be nice to see at least one Crab smackin' some
head with a tetsubo.