 Castle / 977
Re: JJ'S REVIEW: 6095 Royal Joust
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.reviews
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 03:44:34 GMT

Jeff Johnston wrote:
THE GOOD
* Alternate model instructions (!)
^^^^^^^^
DEAR GOD!  :)  Kinda like the good ol' Blacksmith's Shop.

THE BAD
* PRICE!
^^^^^^^^
Yup, little pricy.  Still on my list (I need the knight...  ;) )

THE HUH?
* Silver eyes on the Cowpack guy

Um, ok...

        I'll start with the box.  Gone is the cheerful bright yellow that I always
used to look for to identify the castle sets amidst the other LEGO boxes.  The
new color is a sort of 'old parchment' tan with little map decorations on it.
It's actually kind of nice - a very medieval/fantasy feel to it.

Cool.

        The minifigs are quite nice.  The white-bearded king has a lot of detail
on his tunic, the new breastplate print is good, and *all* the legs have
printing on them (the king has a belt and the bottom of his tunic, the king's
knight has a belt and thigh armor, and the Cowpack warrior has a belt.) Come
think of it, that probably drove up the price as well.

Again, cool!  Printed legs!  Wow.

        The lion-head ornaments are indeed in tan.  They are 2 2/3-3 bricks tall, 2
wide, and 3 deep.  The shape is difficult to describe, but they look good. And
to answer any questions you might have about the stained-glass element: it *is*
a 'secret door' piece, it *is* clear, and it *is* preprinted with a design of
a knight riding on horseback.

Both of those pieces will likely come in handy for me.

[cut stuff]

Well, I'm going to have a hard time deciding what to buy this Christmas
break!  New SW sets, new Castle...  assuming my "backwards" TRU gets
them (Colorado Springs, BTW.  ;) ).
jmbrown@mines.edu
http://www.pcisys.net/~jmbrown/