 Castle / 9007
Re: A Knights Tale (Trebuchets)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 12:43:36 GMT

In lugnet.castle, James Stacey writes:
I dont think you'd get a heavy emough weight from LEGO without making it too
heavy unless you encase a ballbaring or something in there.

"Mookie" <Mookie1@telocity.com> wrote in message
Ok.. I'll try to go see it... and as long as you mentioned it...

Has anyone built a working Trebuchet out of lego, in Castle scale... not
large scale..
I'm going to attempt it this weekend, though I'm just wondering if there
are any pics out there to base it on...

Great minds think alike.  I got the yen to build a castle scale trebuchet
and finished it about 3 weeks ago.  Took just 4 hours to build, but then
took another week trying out all the variables to "optimize" the treb.
One thing though, I did decide that I wanted a much heavier counter weight
so I did use non-Lego parts.  Also I went with fishing line and a genuine
leather pouch which I had to really look around for.  Originally, I planned
to throw a soccer ball but I decided I did not like "hurting" Lego and went
with beads.

But I am pleased with it.  If nothing else, trebs are fun to shoot since
they have such a strange and unique throwing action, namely throwing
backwards before forwards and a nice looking trejectory like lobbing a grenade.

Note I did build a hinged counter weight (HCW) treb.  The other fixed
counter weight (FCW) treb Jeff Stembel mentioned is possible to convert to
but I would then suggest putting wheels on that.   The reason is that to
maximize the weight especially on an FCW treb, the wheels allow the falling
of the CW to be in a straight line.  The string/line on the HCW takes care
of maximizing the weight falling (not quite a straight line, more an arc but
close enough).  That is why theoretically, the FCW treb can beat the HCW
treb.  However, just for grins I did put wheels on the HCW treb and other
than making the treb more unstable during loading it did not throw any further.

I do plan to sell this on BrickBay soon and will be willing to sell
instructions only.  This thread made me jump the gun on my annoucement but
it was just too appropriate to pass up.
KK