 Castle / 8683
Re: -?New Body Armor?-
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 17:30:27 GMT

In lugnet.castle, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jimmy Park writes:
In lugnet.castle, James Brown writes:

People have speculated that we will never see out-of-production elements
again because the molds are gone, or whatever.  I'm taking this
re-appearance of the old armor as indication that LEGO can put old elements
back into circulation, if they have a need to.  Offers a glimmer of hope
that we may see pitchforks and plastic capes and other "long gone" parts
again someday.

Don't get your hopes up.  I've talked to the person at Lego Direct in charge
of deciding what goes into sets.  They generally will not introduce a piece
where the molds no longer exist.  She was quite clear on that point.  Now
that doesn't mean that the molds for pitchforks and capes no longer exist
though.  But if they are gone, don't hold your breath.

I'm not getting my hopes up, particularly.  Just pointing out that when 1
piece that's been out of production for 15 years shows up again, it allows
for the possibility of more, because obviously either the mold was still
around & usable, or LEGO still has the necessary information to make new
molds off of the old design.

Ya, I really doubt they had the mold for these sitting around for all these
years, just to add 3 of the parts per set - I am sure the keep the specs for
all their parts and molds - it would cost to much in time and money to
re-design a mold for a part they already used, and it would cost much more
to come up with a new part alltogether. I think if they come up with a set
that an old part would be perfect for (like the 'body armor' was perfect for
this set) then it would make perfect sense to bring it back. Maybe Lego will
come out with a "Farmer John" or "the devil" series, then we will have
pitchforks galore!
I just opened my other set to part out for brickbay, and these are really
cool parts, I can see why all of you are excited about this. Yes, I am the
one who scanned the box for brickshelf (and its Mark, not Marc, lol). I am
restricted from taking about sales here, so I will refrain.
Mark P.
mfuss903@aol.com
Land Of Lego

James