 Castle / 8029
Re: European Shipping was Re: Knight's History
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2001 04:20:49 GMT

Jon Furman wrote:

one last thing i won a bid of 66 bucks on a kings castle from this guy in
germany in november, i sent the money and he sent it out on december 13
i just got my package by AIR MAIL!2 days ago don't anybody bid on stuff from
ebay user spielbude he ripps u off with shipping prices and i got my package
all crushed, thank you postal service...
it was also missing pieces, a wall, and some grey bricks and black inverted
slopes. in his ebay thing he said it was complete... dmanit all
but at the least i got it

sheesh

I've been getting that a lot from European Sellers too.  Everything I pay
for Airmail on I get like months later, Do you think this is a Shipping
thing (other countries postal services can be sketchy sometimes) or are
there a lot of people on Ebay ( all over the world) trying to rip people off
on shipping?  I've been waiting three months mow for a package from the UK
that the guy swears he shipped airmail.  (yeah right)  I'm ready to write
the whole thing off as being stiffed.  It's hard because all of the good
sets seem to be trading hands at low prices from over there.  I've noticed a
lot of the european sets are complete with boxes and posters still, do you
guys think that Castle was more plentiful over there, or are us yanks not
selling our best stuff?  Jon

Shipping times from Europe can be extremely variable. One problem is
that there are at least two occasions for packages to land on the
customs "free parking" square (folks have had their European sellers
trace packages, to discover that the package had been delivered to the
USPS in a timely fashion, and was now sitting somewhere in our postal
system). One thing which is a factor is whether the item fits in a
"small packet." These packages have lower shipping costs, and also seem
to arrive quicker.

Many things in Europe go for less because the number of buyers is much
smaller, which drastically reduces the chance of competition with
someone who wants the item just as badly as you do. On the other hand,
there are some folks in Europe who are really willing to pay for what
they want.

Stuff from Europe has a few reasons for being in better condition. One
is that you will see a lot of MISB (or more often NISB due to shelf
wear) because there are all sorts of little independent toy stores which
NEVER put anything on sale (and sales in general are few and far between
in Europe). Another factor is that European kids probably have far fewer
toys than American kids, and are encouraged to take much better care of
their toys (in our throw away culture, who cares if junior has destroyed
all his Christmas presents before New Years day, Grandma will just give
him new toys the next time she comes over...).

Frank